Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about non-wood kitchen cabinets

Malcolm, I used to rep for a dealer of these types of products. "Starboard" is one brand, "Designboard" is another. They are all HDPE plastic, which machines easily but as you noted, is soft and needs to be at least 3/4" thick in order to have any sort of structural rigidity. Also, HDPE distorts and gets soft in the sun. Typically, you clad something with it. There is a rubberized acrylic made by Chemcast of Mexico that is actually designed to be drilled for Blum-type hinges and grabs screws but it is quite expensive. You might also check out Corian or one of the other acrylicized solid surface materials. I had several clients who used them for outdoor kitchens. Good luck in your search.

Erik

Marble or granite slabs held together with silicone and wood biscuits to make the cabinets. Not sure how they would be for doors. might be too heavy and crack easy.

The chem cast stuff that drill for Blum hinges and takes screws is what I was speaking of.

Not much any experience with it but I caught my eye and I have fancy taste motivated by high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Malcolm, I used to rep for a dealer of these types of products. "Starboard" is one brand, "Designboard" is another. They are all HDPE plastic, which machines easily but as you noted, is soft and needs to be at least 3/4" thick in order to have any sort of structural rigidity. Also, HDPE distorts and gets soft in the sun. Typically, you clad something with it. There is a rubberized acrylic made by Chemcast of Mexico that is actually designed to be drilled for Blum-type hinges and grabs screws but it is quite expensive. You might also check out Corian or one of the other acrylicized solid surface materials. I had several clients who used them for outdoor kitchens. Good luck in your search.

Erik

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Those at least look less like garage storage and more like kitchen cabinets, but it still seems a little industrial. It's an option. I don't really like the feel of metal cabinets. That may sound silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Marble or granite slabs held together with silicone and wood biscuits to make the cabinets. Not sure how they would be for doors. might be too heavy and crack easy.
    That sounds expensive and kind of "iffy".

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post

Erik
    I helped a friend repair a Jenneau sailboat with some termite damage to the bulkhead. (a problem caused by keeping it in the yard with hatches open and on the tree line) He wanted to use Starboard. I wasn't impressed at all with the stuff. I agree it needs to have some sort of rigid layer on either side to really work as a structural material. The cabinets that I saw that caused me to start t