Thread: Buck Brothers Chisel

Buck Brothers Chisel

Sat. the 8th I bought three pieces from a guy about 3/4 mile away from me who is
    clearing out estates, storage lockers, etc.

Dec8 2018Group.jpg

Dec8 2018 BB Chsl.jpg

In trying to research the Buck Brothers chisel which is 1 1/2" Width & 12 3/4" O.A. Length
    I noticed on the ferrule
    LINK and under that HICKORY
    BB ChiselMarks 002.jpg

BB ChiselMarks 001.jpg

After a little internetting I found some info about the O.P. Link Handle Company
    and in trying to verify that the mark above is something they would have used
    I stumbled onto this site-https://hickoryhandle.blogspot.com/
    which had a number of interesting links
    The contour gauge is still being soaked with lubricant to try and free it up
    GERMANY on one side of contour gauge; no maker's mark per se
    Haven't found a maker's mark on the "3/4 mattock" but there is a patent No.
    which I will make another attempt to look up.
    Was able to find the Patent for the mattock on 2nd try; helps if you search using the correct number
    I believe it was made by Vaughan & Bushnell

Paid $6 for the 3 tools shown.
    Last edited by Mike Hutchison; 12-10-2018 at 5:15 PM. Reason: a little more info

Blog Entries
    The handle is most likely a replacement.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bet Jim is on target. I haven't seen one in a while but Link used to make nice replacement handles for axes and other tools.

Blog Entries
    In trying to research the Buck Brothers chisel which is 1 1/2" Width & 12 3/4" O.A. Length
    I noticed on the ferrule
    LINK and under that HICKORY
    You have likely found reference to the Buck head logo being copyrighted in 1875.

A 1-1/2" chisel can be handy when cutting lap joints in 2X4 and 2X6 lumber. That was part of my project today.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim K. & Barney M.
    After reading your replies something I did not think much about at the time came to mind. During cleanup
    of the chisel I noticed what looked like a little bit of paper coming out of the joint between the ferrule and
    "apron or fringe" of tang. Also some denting in that area; maybe some shimming and persuasion to fit new handle?
    Not a problem to me, refit is tight and this will be a user. I need to change the papers on my glass board and get
    a little better edge on the chisel. Thanks as always for information.