Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Swarz surfaced at Highland Woodworking.

C.S. Is a smart man. He knows just how to keep his name up there on top. Knows just how to change horses to get the brass ring. Good woodworker to boot.
    Jim

I've met Chris a couple times and he seems to be a pretty likable guy. What's his role at Highland Woodworking?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I was in error on my post. Chris is at Popular Woodworking.
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/chris-schwarz-blog/
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-11-2018 at 1:27 PM.

Many of the questions asked here have been answered by Chris at his blog at Lost Art Press.

From his blog:
    His relationship with Popular Woodworking will end at the end of this month.
    He was asked to adapt a speech he gave to an article for the Highland Woodworking newsletter.

TonyC

Actually, that is winding down and will be over soon:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...f-this-weblog/

6. Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I was in error on my post. Chris is at Popular Woodworking.
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/chris-schwarz-blog/
    You're running a bit behind. Not entirely wrong for another three weeks, but close: He left PW as managing editor a couple of years ago; as a contributor to an in-house PW blog, his involvement is scheduled to end at the end of this year. We don't know if his accumulated blog posts at PW will remain there or not. Apparently he currently is being courted by other woodworking magazines, including at least FWW. Or maybe that's a tease.

PW has fallen into the hands of evil bean counters and is in a serious decline, rapidly dedicating their efforts to wet-nursing newbies and outsourcing to largely unedited, inexperienced and semi-skilled writers who demean themselves by writing about how to saw straight and how to nail a rabbet joint. Not much content left for those of us who already chop mortises and dovetail corners.

Love him or hate him, CS keeps you coming back for more. Just what a magazine needs in today's paper-based economy. Good for them, good for him and, if he makes you think, good for you.

I don't agree with him on everything, but he darn sure makes me stop and think before I disagree. A lot of the time, he even makes me think before I agree. In both cases, it's good for me. I should think sometimes, according to Dr. Grandma.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Show me someone anyone of us agrees with ALL THE TIME and I'll show you a mirror...
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

I've learned an awful lot from Chris Schwarz and I think we are lucky to have him as a teacher.

Blog Entries
    I just subscribed to the magazine again and the first issue came today. I'm a bit disappointed in it.
    Oh well, maybe I will enjoy future issues.
    I'm sure keeping woodworking magazine interesting is a challenge to say the least.

Fish much?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I've heard of this guy before, can't remember where. I don't mean to belittle what he does but has the man ever worked in an actual production environment with dead lines that have to be kept? It's easy to make nice pieces of furniture when you have loads of time but doing it under time pressure is another thing.

I don't always agree with him, but he does nice work, gives back to the hand tool community, and writes and publishes excellent books. How many of us have a Roubo bench, a dovetailed tool chest, etc.? He didn't invent any of that, but certainly made it popular again.

I like the Schwarz. I have read many of his books, and learn a lot from them. I would love to take one of his classes in the future just for the experience of meeting him and his crew who all seem to do good work too.

He is one of the few that puts his money where his mouth is. Don’t like your job, quit and start your own company. Don’t like some tools out there? Start your own tool company. That’s what he has done and it’s takes a lot of guts. I think we are lucky to have him.

I am currently reading Chris Schwarz's edition of Moxon's 17th century The Art of Joinery. It is part of Moxon's Mechanick Exercises. It includes Chris's comments on the text. I am also reading the 19th century The Joiner and the Cabinet Maker which he put out with Joel Moskowitz from toolsforworkingwood.com. This is a sort of introduction to the life of an apprentice joiner with a lot of detail about how joiners worked at that time. Chris actually reproduces, in the second half of the book, the projects described in the book. Both are from Schwarz's Lost Arts Press. I appreciate his (and Moskowitz's) historical interests and have learned from both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    ... I don't agree with him on everything, but he darn sure makes me stop and think before I disagree. A lot of the time, he even makes me think before I agree....
    Well written James! CS is an interesting guy with much to offer.

Allen

I think those people on the first page, who do not even know what he does, (or how to spell hid name), should keep their opinions to themselves.

Chris is a great asset to the woodworking community IMO.

David Charlesworth