Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Swarz surfaced at Highland Woodworking.

Blog Entries

Chris Swarz surfaced at Highland Woodworking.

I wondered what happened and he left Lee Valley.
    I logged on to Highland woodworking and an article he wrote popped up.
    While on a trip that passed through Atlanta, I visited their store.

2. I've heard of this guy before, can't remember where. I don't mean to belittle what he does but has the man ever worked in an actual production environment with dead lines that have to be kept? It's easy to make nice pieces of furniture when you have loads of time but doing it under time pressure is another thing.

Working as a writer doesn't pay much --- he's mentioned doing furniture commissions, and folks usually won't wait forever on that, and of course, the faster one can make things, the more one will earn.

Blog Entries
    He was at Popular Woodworking Magazine. The magazine kind of fell apart after he left. It is coming back now.
    I always enjoyed his articles. If you read his articles you will probably learn a bit.

Magazines, etc., have publishing deadlines which means he not only had to get projects done by a certain date, he also had to have the article written.

Stew

Does it matter if he worked in a production environment? He’s found his own niche - he studies historical techniques and equipment and teaches how to incorporate those into modern woodworking. He also started a publishing company that publishes some of the best woodworking related content available currently.

I read one of his articles today from a while back, opinionated nonsense! Several comments also thought so. Sadley that just helps to sell magazines.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 12-11-2018 at 9:59 AM.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I've heard of this guy before, can't remember where. I don't mean to belittle what he does but has the man ever worked in an actual production environment with dead lines that have to be kept? It's easy to make nice pieces of furniture when you have loads of time but doing it under time pressure is another thing.
    His company "Lost Arts Press", does a spuberb job on reprinting of vintage woodworking & trade books (for example, books by Hayward and Wearing). In my opinion, that is his true talent.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I happen to admire Chris as a craftsman, scholar, teacher and editor. Since when do we dismiss someone's opinion because he's not a production woodworker? That lets most of us right out of consideration, doesn't it? SMC might as well fold if we all have to meet deadlines to quality. For that matter, since when should we dismiss any knowledge or opinion based on its source? That's a fundamental fallacy. It takes all kinds of animals to make a zoo and all kinds of craftspersons to make a craft.

Doug

Just bought two wood books from Lost Art Press. Hardback and very well produced. Looking forward to reading them.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Doug,

Haters love to hate. It's what they do. Seems like the way of the world these days, find someone who has become successful at something, or anything, and then hate them for it. One of the gifts from the social media crowd if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    I happen to admire Chris as a craftsman, scholar, teacher and editor. Since when do we dismiss someone's opinion because he's not a production woodworker? That lets most of us right out of consideration, doesn't it? SMC might as well fold if we all have to meet deadlines to quality. For that matter, since when should we dismiss any knowledge or opinion based on its source? That's a fundamental fallacy. It takes all kinds of animals to make a zoo and all kinds of craftspersons to make a craft.

Doug

We are gathered here to share in the practice of hand tool woodworking. I read Chris's blog and own a few of his books. I consider Chris to be one of the most effective living advocates of our practice. And his productivity is truly remarkable. Me...? hobbyist with nary a deadline. Dang glad for pro's like him (and many of you) who share so much insight and knowledge.

Chris Swarz surfaced at Highland Woodworking.

He is Chris Schwarz. It always surprises me why so many people also misspell his last name as Schwartz.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    I will take note of the correct spelling. I bet he is glad to be recognized regardless of how we spell his name.

Sure he has been on the wrong side of some things but he has also changed when shown new info. BTW, I'd love to see the work and production of C.S.'s distractors. Show me the beef, then I'll take you seriously. C.S. not only can talk the talk he also walks the walk.

How's that for employing a bunch of cliches in one sentence. Damn Bubba you do good work.

ken