Thread: WS Wide Blade Attachment Discontinued?

WS Wide Blade Attachment Discontinued?

I just got off the phone with Work Sharp to help solve a problem with the honing guide included in the Wide Blade Attachment. During the conversation, the rep told me that I was lucky to get one of the last Wide Blade Attachments, as they have been discontinued due to lack of interest. Kind of a bummer, cuz I find the WBA to be a good option for any blade, because it is very close to sharpening with stones and a honing guide. Anyhow, if you always wanted one, you might look into getting one now.
    If I'm wrong, I apologize, however I'm just going by what the Work Sharp rep told me.

I have been looking for a wide tool jig as well as the tool post for a Worksharp 3000, but have not been successful. I’m so disappointed that I have half a sharpening system. I bought the 3000 last year and had planned on completing the setup this past Christmas, now I don’t know what to do. Anyone know of any sources other than WC, Rock, or Amazon?

Try calling WS direct. I think they may have the parts and may be willing to make up a kit for you. I had to call for a replacement honing guide and they put one together for me. Couldn't hurt.

Thanks, I was thinking about doing that. Really bummed that they stopped selling accessories for such a great machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Coxon View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking about doing that. Really bummed that they stopped selling accessories for such a great machine.
    Jeremy, I went to Rockler just before Xmas and got one there. They had a few of them. I didn't even know they were discontinued. Matter of fact, try calling individual Rockler stores to see if they have any in stock. I once was looking for a tool that was discontinued and Rockler's website showed "out of stock". I started calling their stores and finally found what I needed in another state. They do ship from their stores. Give them a try before you give up. Adjusted properly, the table and guide do work.

Well after several hours on the phone, I finally have a WS Wide blade attachment on it's way. I did find one at a Rocker store in Cinci (I'm near Louisville), but they wouldn't ship to me because of some policy that states the stores aren't "allowed to ship direct to customers" so I called their customer service - no joy there either. I will reevaluate where my tool purchases are made going forward - have spent many thousands with Rockler in the last couple of years setting up my shop. Worksharp customer service was even less helpful - basically said sorry about your luck & it was a slow seller so we quit making them. I ended up finding a very helpful Woodcraft employee in the Indy store who found a couple. One at a store up in Pittsburgh and the other in Parkersburg WV. Made the call and the WC guy said "no problem to ship"! I struck out on the Tool Bar Holder accessory, but I will probably be able to make one if I can figure out a way to make a bracket and elbow for the rods...hmmm might need a bit of that amber thinking juice to get the gray cells working.

Alright, Jeremy! I knew you'd find one! I'm really surprised that Rockler wouldn't do it. I always go directly to the Manager on stuff like that and they are usually pretty helpful. On the other hand, you found on and it's on it's way! Maybe, if you ask around on the forum, you might find someone whose willing to part with theirs. Now, others have had issues making their table flush with the disc, but I really had no problems. It just took a little patience. The table itself is dead flat. Work from the center of the table to the center of the disc and you'll have no problems. If you're not getting 90* on the blade edge, you can always tweak the table a bit to get there, so long as you keep working center table, to center disc.
    Good going. Let me know if you have any other issues. You win!

The ship / no ship at Rockler may have to do with whether or not you're dealing with a corporate store or a franchisee ???

The later has little to no incentive to spend the time and energy horse trading with another store over a $75 item.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    The ship / no ship at Rockler may have to do with whether or not you're dealing with a corporate store or a franchisee ???

The later has little to no incentive to spend the time and energy horse trading with another store over a $75 item.
    Dave, could be. That said, every Manager that I've ever dealt with, at several Rockler stores across the nation, has really bent over backwards to help me out. I even called around for a clock that hadn't been sold at Rockler for years and found 2 stores had them hanging on there wall and both were willing to ship them to me. I can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Coxon View Post
    I have been looking for a wide tool jig as well as the tool post for a Worksharp 3000, but have not been successful. I’m so disappointed that I have half a sharpening system. I bought the 3000 last year and had planned on completing the setup this past Christmas, now I don’t know what to do. Anyone know of any sources other than WC, Rock, or Amazon?
    Hi Jeremy,
    I made my own, based on something Stumpy Nubs had on his website. LINK It works just fine and was easy to build. Maybe that'll help.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”