Thread: Preparing bowl blank with axe?

Preparing bowl blank with axe?

I saw a YouTube video last night where a bowl blank was prepared using an axe. Seemed like a lot of work but interesting enough to try. Is there any advantage to this approach besides not requiring a bandsaw?

The reason I came across the video is because of an interest in wood carving. One of the things I would like to try is a rectangular bowl that is impossible to do on a lathe.

2. Do you have a chain saw? That would be an easier and faster option than an axe.

An advantage? Great cardio and you don't need a gym membership. Also the neighbors will be happier with no chain saws running.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I saw a YouTube video last night where a bowl blank was prepared using an axe. Seemed like a lot of work but interesting enough to try. Is there any advantage to this approach besides not requiring a bandsaw?

The reason I came across the video is because of an interest in wood carving. One of the things I would like to try is a rectangular bowl that is impossible to do on a lathe.
    I often use an axe, but along with a bandsaw instead of in it's place - I keep one on the wall next to my bandsaw. I use it to remove high spots on log sections so I can cut them up gracefully with the bandsaw. I can't imagine rounding the blank with one unless I didn't have any other method and maybe was a bit younger. I had a whole lot more energy back when I was 67.

By rectangular bowl, do you mean a traditional dough bowl? There was some recent discussion on another forum. I found a good article in one of the Foxfire books (#4, in the chapter on woodcarving.)

JKJ

When I first started green wood turning I didn't have a chainsaw. I would take a bowl saw into the woods and then drag the log out by hooking rope up to a back pack frame. Then I would cut it up into approximate blanks with the bow saw and split it with an ax. When I got it close I would us a hatchet to get it round enough to fit on my lathe. I was a lot younger then. Rectangular bowls can be done with and a hatchet and an Adz. I use a chainsaw and an angle grinder when I do one which is way faster.

For most of us, not really practical other than for smaller pieces. You need a razor sharp axe, and have to know how to use it, and have to have a piece of wood that will cut easily with a good sharp axe. Most of the fruit woods, or the softer maples would do fine, but black locust, no.... Bandsaw is easier and a chainsaw if you have one, and again, they have to be sharp....

robo hippy

I have a chainsaw and bandsaw but after viewing the video thought it might offer some feature to the bowl or new age therapy. After roughing out a spoon blank with an axe this afternoon for the first time I have a new appreciation for using the tool. And yes, the axe has to be exceedingly sharp.

I have 2 side hatchets. I think they work better than a standard grind hatchet for shaping things. If your not familiar with those they are ground on only one side. This makes it easier to control the cut. Side Ax's were used to shape the sides of logs for log cabins.