Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: A Timberframed Woodworking Shop - Build Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How much snow will the roof have to hold? Being from California I either see stuff for none or tons. Many folks outside of California do not understand that the mountains can have 30-50' of snow in a season and for the most part it does not melt off until spring.
    Hi Bill, I actually lived in Northern California for a while. Unbelievable quantities of snow once you start going uphill! This building will go up in Eastern Canada not far from Maine where this building engineered for. Around here snow comes and goes for most of the winter though we can have 5 feet on the ground on rare occasions.

Blog Entries
    Shedding a bit of light on the workspace. Surprising what $75 in LEDs will light up...

B

20190108_183811.jpg

20190108_183824.jpg

B

That space looks ready to rock and roll, Brent...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    This sucker will be a huge asset to the business but I'm hoping to get it tuned up to help with the shop build.

Wadkin CC2 crosscut saw. 18" blade is standard but it also takes moulding heads on a 4+ inch arbour. Can crosscut 32" and sever 5+", swings 90degrees one direction on way and 45 the other. The head cants 45degrees.

Can't seem to upload pics right now....I'll try later,

B

Blog Entries
    Let's try the pictures again......

Nope....

Blog Entries
    This sucker will be a huge asset to the business but I'm hoping to get it tuned up to help with the shop build.

Wadkin CC2 crosscut saw. 18" blade is standard but it also takes moulding heads on a 4+ inch arbour. Can crosscut 32" and sever 5+", swings 90degrees one direction and 45 the other. The head cants 45degrees

20190111_104212.jpg

20190111_104248.jpg

Dats a monster!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Geez, that thing will take a limb or 2 off if you aren't careful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Geez, that thing will take a limb or 2 off if you aren't careful.
    The powerhead is on my workbench right now getting a going over. It weighs more than my wife.....

B

Blog Entries
    The big CC is getting some attention before I throw a bunch of work at it.

20190110_145914.jpg

20190112_151301.jpg

This is the carraige upsidedown where the power head attaches.

20190112_151342.jpg

The other side of the power head mounting point.

20190112_151425.jpg

The carraige runs on four rollers about 18" apart, each with two bearings inside.

20190112_151507.jpg

20190112_151545.jpg

Motor bearings pretty stuffed with grease...

20190112_151646.jpg

Two deep groove ball bearings inside the roller.

20190112_151715.jpg

Tapped out, cleaned out and regressed.....good for another 70 years....

That thing is a beast Brent. Will you build a bench around it to set timbers on and/or how do you plan on getting timbers to the saw?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    That thing is a beast Brent. Will you build a bench around it to set timbers on and/or how do you plan on getting timbers to the saw?
    At this juncture I will only be using it to speed up the brace construction phase of the project though that will be a huge asset! So those can be handled manually for now. The problem is, it's only practical to use if you have square and true stock and if your beams are too big to joint and plane they're probably too big to muscle up onto the saw table too. However in timber framing there are a lot of small timbers that this will be a huge help for. Struts for example are just long braces (cut on different angles too) that can be jointed and planed. A dry 8x8 that is only 8' long might be jointable too. Often times, king posts are short enough to handle for jointing and planing too so this will get a LOT of use. I'm pretty excited (and nervous!) to crank it up.

If I do end up buying timbers for a job that have come from a four-sided planer mill, then I can consider a form of gantry crane to move them to the saw, but we'll see how things unfold. The reality is though, I have used timbers from million dollar planer mills that go out the door straight, but warp and bow and twist on the truck on the way to your shop.

For the immediate and intermediate future I foresee lots of skill saw work cutting out the joints in heavy timbers for now,

B

Blog Entries
    Too stinky to soak things inside, but also.....one nice thing about living in the great white north is you don't have to put your greasy old machine parts in the freezer to cool them off!

20190112_144654.jpg

Whatever will we do when we no longer have incandescents to heat our bearings up on?

20190112_155353.jpg

B

Blog Entries
    For those who want to see one of these in action, check out this guy's channel. Lots of neat content besides, but he uses a CD model which is similar, in many of his videos.

https://youtu.be/QJDgDwEQkVo?t=29m10s

B

It's a nice, no BS channel.

Blog Entries
    So I've been busy rebuilding the big saw but did collect enough footage for a little video of some of the moving process as well as a little shop tour. I also discuss the future direction of the series. https://youtu.be/QTSMQR0HwFg

I'm investing a little bit in some things to make the videos a little better. I now have a remote microphone for the camera and I'll get a better mic for the voiceovers.

Please don't hesitate to let me know what in particular you are really interested in seeing and I'll do my best to offer that up!

Cheers,

Brent