Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Timberframed Woodworking Shop - Build Thread

Please do! I love following along. It's a lot of fun to document the build!

Looking forward to it!

What the heck, 18 posts and no pics ????????

document and share. Can’t wait to see.

Blog Entries
    Ha ha! Sorry, I sat down yesterday and ran into a stumbling block moving pictures over from my old computer.....soon I swear!

B

Add another to the list. Always enjoy a good shop build!

Looking forward to this Brent!

Add me to the list.
    Charlie Jones

Waiting like everybody else

My popcorn is getting cold ... where are the pics?!?

Blog Entries
    Ha ha! Ok, ok, ok...tomorrow with morning coffee!

Thank you for your patience....these are busy days. I'm trying to get video footage too....here's a sneak preview.

https://youtu.be/59LJGBUhxVc

B

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for your patience! As you can imagine, things are pretty busy around here now trying to get this going before winter sets in and access is more complicated. Couple that with personal and professional Christmas related obligations and there's a lot going on, so it'll take me a while to get caught up to present day which has all of the important timbers (except for the rafters) in the big shop ready for processing. But here's the beginning!

The executive summary of the background is as follows:

I've been in love with furniture making and design since taking it as a teenager in school. 20 years ago managed to start dabbling at it as a hobby that grew more seriously every year till I pounced on an opportunity to recklessly quit my day job and do it full time a few years ago. In those 20 years I also became enamoured with timber frame construction and studied it on a few occasions and have been going back and forth between timber framing and furniture making for clients for a few years now. HOWEVER! I have never really had a proper place to work, and I figured a timber framer should have a timber framed workshop. Having worked in the woods in the past and knowing people with woodlots put me in a position to start right at the beginning and actually select and harvest the trees myself.....

Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan-20140209-00099.jpg

IMG-20140209-00100.jpg
    IMG-20140209-00097.jpg

This is my wife checking out the first tree we cut. This turned into a very nice tie beam!

Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan-20140309-00125.jpg

Gentle persuasion put it exactly where I wanted.

Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan-20140309-00126.jpg

The snow was too deep to haul these out in the winter, but due to sap stain issues I wanted to drop them in winter, so we put blocks under them to keep them off the ground as the snow melted. The goal was to haul them out when most of the snow was gone but some was still there.

Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan-20140315-00132.jpg

Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan-20140315-00147.jpg

This tree saved my bacon. I had been disappointed by a couple in a row that didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped and this unassuming tree (which wasn't very big) was actually very tall, straight and gave me three timbers plus another log for general boarding.

These timbers will all ultimately find their way into this frame, a 25 x 40ish high posted cape:

Image for SMC.jpg

Milling pictures to come!

B

I can see that you're actually bringing the "timber" to the timber-frame! This is going to be fun to follow along with!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    So a few more details on what I'm up to and what I hope to photo document for folks.

Here's a few more pics of the frame itself.

Image for SMC.jpg

Image for SMC2.jpg

Image for SMC3.jpg

What I hope to do is document the process at least via photographs but I'm also going to try and do a video series on it as well and see how it goes.

This what I'm thinking of sharing:

- Shop/structure design
    - Tree harvesting/yarding
    - log milling (some logs were longer than the mill, so a bit of a learning experience there!)
    - log and board storage and seasoning
    - machining of Oak T&G flooring
    - machining of pine T&G sheathing
    - Frame cutting (my approach to joinery cutting etc)
    - frame assembly

and if we're all having fun still, I'll consider continuing on and cover closing in the frame and setting up the shop itself.

As you can imagine, I'll be busy, but I'd like to try and answer as many questions folks may have as I can so please feel free to fire away!

Cheers,

Brent

Thanks for documenting things like that, Brent. The whole community will benefit from it and it will also likely be helpful with you thinking things through for an even more successful project. And yea....keep going when it gets time to set things up post-build.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Wow. You are building my dream shop. I have always wanted to do this. I'm following this thread closely.