Thread: Jet Air Filter Remote Problems

Jet Air Filter Remote Problems

Recently, the remote for my Jet Air Filter stopped working. Since it was pretty old, I figured that I had damaged it. I bought a new one and tried it and the filter turned on. BUT, it would not do anything else.

I remembered that someone mentioned LED light EMI interference. I had just installed two new LED lights near the filter.. So, I unplugged those lights and tried the remote...it worked perfectly. So, now I can have clean air or lights on!!!

Are their any filters I can use to reduce the EMI??

Has anyone encountered this and what did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Recently, the remote for my Jet Air Filter stopped working. Since it was pretty old, I figured that I had damaged it. I bought a new one and tried it and the filter turned on. BUT, it would not do anything else.

I remembered that someone mentioned LED light EMI interference. I had just installed two new LED lights near the filter.. So, I unplugged those lights and tried the remote...it worked perfectly. So, now I can have clean air or lights on!!!

Are their any filters I can use to reduce the EMI??

Has anyone encountered this and what did you do?
    Just curious how close the lights are, and what brand they are. I have LEDs not far from my JET air filter and have no issues so far.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

The lights are from Menards and pretty cheap. They are 6 feet from air cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The lights are from Menards and pretty cheap. They are 6 feet from air cleaner.
    Mine are closer than that. I used Sunco 4' shop lights that i grabbed from Amazon. A 6 pack is now about $70, so also pretty cheap.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Blog Entries
    It must be sunspots or something. The electronics in my jet air filter died just last week. I never carried the remote but kept it velcroed to the machine so it was a no-brainer to replace the electronics with a three way switch and timer.

How difficult was it to remove the electronics from the Jet air filter? I have the 3 speed one with the remote. Between losing the remote, buying a new one, finding the old one, and always having to click the remote after flipping the wall switch to turn on the filter, the remote is my least favorite part of that machine.

I have tried blocking off the light with card board to see if it was an infrared issue but no help. I then ran an extension cord to a far outlet in my shop and the remote works. The far outlet is on the main house panel while the original outlet was on a subpanel.

Taking the electronics out would not be easy.

A new Jet air filter is over $500.

Blog Entries
    Removing the electronics was easy. You unscrew the panel, unscrew the board and throw it away. There are 4 wires going to the motor. The black one is common and the other three are for the three speed blower. Someone here just used a pull chain switch from a ceiling fan. I used a three position rotary switch. I added a mechanical six hour timer switch.

For me, the remote and electronics were a waste. I kept the remote Velcro’s to the control panel.

Thanks Roger, I may try that.

Is there another outlet in your shop you can try with an extension cord?
    Is the cleaner on the same circuit as the lights?
    The inductance and capacitance in a long power cable run will filter high-frequencies to some extent. An extension coiled up feeding the cleaner could help. The extension cord from a different area does indicate that the interference is possibly coming down the power cable not through the air.

Maybe adding a surge protector in the power feed will help.

You might try putting a ferrite choke on the air cleaners power cord.https://www.amazon.com/Cedmon-Pieces...s%2C156&sr=8-4
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I tried a ferrite choke and no help.