Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumber Grades / Kitchen Table

He said FARM table. I have a real farm table from an old family farm house. Top is held down by cut nails. Lots of space
    between each board. It's in the basement. Glued top is for deluxe model but you guys are still not happy !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I built a workbenches out of Borg grade 2 x 4,'s but a table.. not going to happen.
    +1 my workbench is BORG 2x4’s, but not for a dining table.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a line on some old pine, guy says it was his Grandpas and been stored in his barn. 2"x8"x15ish ft rough cut. I have not looked at it, but pictures it looks pretty clear of knots. Now my issue is he wants 100$ a board! My calcs thats 5$ b/ft.

I would think this wood is stable, and should mill up real nice. He has 12 boards so about 250 b-ft. His price would be 1200$. I would think around 2$ b/ft is a good price, or 500$ for the lot. That might insult him.

I would have plenty of wood to do the top, and the supports.

Tonight I am going to take (2) 10' boards to the kitchen and lay them on existing table at 48" wide to see what feedback I get from them.

Thoughts?

I think that’s a great idea Jim. A 42 inch wide table feels very wide to me I’m 6-3 tall so I have a pretty good boarding house reach. You make a good point about the center piece. I didn’t think about that I’m too focused on passing around the gravy boat and such.

The pine boards sounds like a good idea. I hope they look good if the grain is nicely balanced in the boards. With cathedral down the middle flowing out to rift on the edges. They would be worth fighting for.
    If they are mostly flat sawn with crooks and grain running out on the edges then not so much.

Good luck with your build.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I think that’s a great idea Jim. A 42 inch wide table feels very wide to me I’m 6-3 tall so I have a pretty good boarding house reach. You make a good point about the center piece. I didn’t think about that I’m too focused on passing around the gravy boat and such.

The pine boards sounds like a good idea. I hope they look good if the grain is nicely balanced in the boards. With cathedral down the middle flowing out to rift on the edges. They would be worth fighting for.
    If they are mostly flat sawn with crooks and grain running out on the edges then not so much.

Good luck with your build.
    Here is a pic of the boards, he said its middle stack only. He has come down to about 2.50 b-ft if I buy 200bf. Not sure I can get him lower. Think I will go for it, even If I dont use for table seems a ok deal for the wood. s-l1600.jpg

$2.50 a board foot for "vintage" pine that's dry isn't a horrible price, honestly. It's likely going to be substantially better than any "fresh" pine you'll find without jumping through hoops, too...the older lumber grew slower and that's a good thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    $2.50 a board foot for "vintage" pine that's dry isn't a horrible price, honestly. It's likely going to be substantially better than any "fresh" pine you'll find without jumping through hoops, too...the older lumber grew slower and that's a good thing.
    I agree. Pic of the grain. Looks nice and tight growth rings. I think it will be perfect for my build. In my location not alot of choice nearby without driving a hour or two. s-l1600.jpg

Yea...that's what you want when you have the choice to get it!
    --

I agree they look pretty good.The flat grain isn’t perfectly centered but close enough.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    That looks like nice wood. Hard to find anything with the growth rings that close together. Please update this as you build, would love to see how it turns out. FYIe, I just did my dining table, 86 x 36, but with 4/4 top. Honestly, I’m not disappointed with the 4/4 top, but glad I laminated the legs 3 1/4 x 3 1/4. The beefy legs make up for the top. I used curly
    mango, a wood readily available here in Hawaii, very expensive at $15/bf. all said though, the dining table costed about $750 and I had two boards about 1x9x72 left over. The legs took more wood than the top, but that’s why I couldn’t imagine what you were earlier gonna spend for borg wood or the pine at $5 bf. if you can, stick to traditional joinery, I built mine mortise and tenon for the legs and stretchers and it’s solid as a rock.

C2A8E912-3E29-44A3-A961-DB9888A802C0.jpg5DC8014B-5E89-41F8-854E-5A3780B349D6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Here is a pic of the boards, he said its middle stack only. He has come down to about 2.50 b-ft if I buy 200bf. Not sure I can get him lower. Think I will go for it, even If I dont use for table seems a ok deal for the wood. s-l1600.jpg
    Jim
    It's interesting how lumber prices vary on geographic region.
    I stated earlier that getting clear, straight grain, pine boards is getting ever more difficult. Regardless of price, it's just not out there.
    We often equate pine with "cheap", but that's not always the case.
    Those look like nice boards that will yield the effect you're looking for.
    I really think that without a ton of work, the 'Home Depot quality construction material would have looked like a rest stop picnic table in your house.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Got just over 200 bf in 10 boards Sunday. Nice looking stuff once planed up.
    Next step line it all up to get the best glue up for the top, and see what I have left for the structure.
    Also have to build a planer sled, too wide for the jointer.

IMG_0325.jpgIMG_0328.jpgIMG_0326.jpgIMG_0327.jpg

Good looking stuff Jim. It kinda looks like cedar how sure are you that’s its pine?
    Aj

That really is very nice looking lumber!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Good looking stuff Jim. It kinda looks like cedar how sure are you that’s its pine?
    I am pretty sure, not an aromatic cedar if it is!