Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

10 Dec 2018

Greetings,
    It's been a good week of vacation for me. Got a lot of stuff done that I wouldn't have gotten done. Spent most of the time helping family, fixing things around the house, and working on Christmas music for our church. Got some cleaning and organizing done in the shop and I'm also trying to learn more about woodworking with CNC before I retire in a few years since I will have to work after I retire to make ends meet. The LOML and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary and we also finished paying off another debt. We are still working on paying down/off debt as quickly as I can and let me speak to the younger folks here on SMC....if you are in debt and not putting away for retirement yet? PLEASE start on an active plan to get out of debt and start building your retirement funding as quickly as you can. Time is on the side of those that are younger that I and can work a plan to help you out over time. I lost a lot due to 9-11 and also the financial down-turn in 2008. I've learned from those mistakes and have a great financial adviser that I know and trust.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sounds like you had a great week, Dennis!

Mine was pretty much a normal week at this point. I cut more boxes and ornaments on the CNC for my ETSY side of the operation as well as completed my sanding station project with some dust collection adaptation for the combo sander. I worked on a bit of marketing things, too. I have a few furniture projects I plan on starting soon and also want to "finish" the shop ceiling finishing...I need a couple more packs of ceiling tile to do that.

This weekend, a beautiful black female bunny joined the family from the SPCA...our older daughter lost her Flemish Giant earlier in the year to old age, etc., and it was time for a new furry friend. Her older iPhone also gave up the ghost, so I upgraded mine and setup my previous one for her use. Younger daughter finished the first half of her sophomore year classes at PSU on Friday and Professor Dr. SWMBO also taught her last class of the term mid-week at her institution. So the holiday "break" is upon us...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis, congrats on your 35th! I'm pretty much in the same boat as you regarding my retirement plans. Meager savings and I'm still paying college loans for my daughters will require me to maintain some form of income beyond just SS. With any luck cutting boards and wooden spoons will be all the rage by the time I get around to even thinking about giving up the 9-to-5.

I finally applied the last coat of Daly's Crystalfin matte finish and am calling the 13-month barnwood bed project complete. I'll be delivering it next week which should allow the poly time to cure before I have to wrap it up in cardboard and plastic for the trip. I started this project back in November of last year, but really it only took about three months of total work time. Most of the time in between, the bed...and all of my shop gear sat in storage while we were in between our old house and our current one, and then it took another 6 weeks after the move before I could rewire and remodel the garage space to accomodate my tools.

BarnwoodBed_02.jpg BarnwoodBed_02.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-11-2018 at 10:44 AM.

The buddy who had me make the desktop for his son asked me to finish it too (a change of plan). Of the samples I showed them on a scrap of walnut, they opted for Waterlox. In between more Christmas decorating and Christmas parties on Saturday, and after church on Sunday, got most of the coats applied. I've got a couple more to go to get the top surface looking its best.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    Mike- that's a nice bed!

I built a center case for the boat, steam bent some spruce for the stem bands, and finally proved my theory that a PVC steam box is a bad idea. I had heard of people doing it. Don't waste your time. Tonight I'm building a proper one out of some surprisingly nice pine from Home Depot.

I installed the Wixey digital readout on my new planer. Helped a buddy fix an antique chair. Started trying to transfer a bunch of old pictures off my old computer. Re-discovered a lot of good times with friends. Like this guy...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We purchased a solid mango wood coffee table and end table from Crate and Barrel in 2007. The coffee table did not fit in our new house so it has been in the bedroom and used as a place to dump purses, computers etc. This weekend I chopped it up to make a small end table to match the design of the other end table. I milled it where there was just enough wood leftover to make a bench to go in our bedroom to replace the coffee table. The amount of wasted wood can be held in one hand. Now all I have to do is refinish the new end table, old end table and bench to match. Mango is pretty easy to work but I have no idea how to finish it. The old finish was shimmering dark honey color I would like to reproduce. I thinking of starting with shellac and trans tint dyes but I have no idea where I will end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    Started trying to transfer a bunch of old pictures off my old computer. Re-discovered a lot of good times with friends. Like this guy...

Oooh..."Bibbs" in his bibbs...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...