Thread: Makita 1019L slide saw review

Makita 1019L slide saw review

I recently bought this saw for no other reason than it has better dust collection than any of my other saws. I was given a Festool to use for a month and although I did like the dust collection I did not like the saw. I hate all the saws with a small table.

So.... Right out of the box it was adjusted in every plane to perfection. Never had that happen before, may just be a fluke. Cut is as good as they get, can not see any teeth marks at all. I like the 10" over the 12" I have, no deflection. I had a Oncrud blade I was going to put on, but the factory blade is perfect. Still heavy as a dead priest, but I manage. Tilt control is a bit wonky, requires a couple of twists, but it is on the front of the saw which is a huge plus in my book. The detents can be eliminated with a lever on the front for those times you need a half degree adjustment, and then returned to normal operation. Nice feature as you do not have to fight the detents.

I am pleased, especially as I got it for cost from my supplier.

Thanks very much Larry for your review. I've been thinking about getting a slider and wondered about this saw compared to the the Bosch Glide. This one may be heavy but it's light compared to the Glide or even my 12" Bosch non-slider at 64 lbs.

Questions: Is the rotary table flush with the outer table? And are the fences in the same plane and perpendicular to the table? None of those are perfect with my Bosch, so I ask. Thanks.

John

Hi Larry,
    Funny you should post this about the Makita LS1019L today--I just ordered one yesterday to replace my recently sold Festool Kapex. For as long as I had the Kapex I felt it was underpowered, did not like the orientation of the handle and was overpriced. I am glad to hear that your first impressions of the LS1019L are positive!
    BTW, would you mind measuring the distance from the back of the saw to the front set of hold down screw holes in the saw table? Just trying to plan a SCMS setup for my shop (it's against a wall).
    Thanks.
    Ed

I wish it had the vertical handle, maybe I'm the only one that prefers it, but I really do. My trusty old LS1013 and the newer LS1018 have me trained I guess.

Ed, prob. a good thing you sold it given all the reports of Kapex motors failing and festool’s non response to the situation.

Yes, Dave, the motor issue was on my mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I wish it had the vertical handle, maybe I'm the only one that prefers it, but I really do. My trusty old LS1013 and the newer LS1018 have me trained I guess.
    Don't let that bother you Steve, I switched from one of those saws and did not even notice that the handle was different until you said something. I like the saw from the first cut. I usually trim with an old Delta cast iron saw, but this one is so good I left the cast iron saw in the shop.

Ed, I hated the Kapex and love this saw, so I think you will be pleased. If it is as dependable as my other Makita saws, no worries. I'll try to remember to measure that today Ed, saw is on site.

I thought about the cordless version, which is the same saw with a different motor, but I don't see the reason myself. The cordless one would not work with the vacuum that I have, and is to me a lot of unnecessary complication.

John, I have used my buddies Glide, and I did not buy one. I buy whatever I like, have about ten chop saws, and it did not make me pull the trigger. I actually was not expecting this saw to cut so well, I was just after the dust control. Pleasantly surprised. There is no outer table, just the big round turntable. There are degree marks and pointers on both sides, nice. When I threw a Mitatoyo square on the cuts they were all perfect out of the box. Cutting a 4 1/2" baseboard standiing up one a 45 the cut is still perfectly square, something the older saws with the flip fence would not do once they had some miles on them. May take some getting used to but I think the removable fences will be better.

Thanks Larry. I had a Bosch CSMS that was that perfect saw right out of the box. Didn't matter what type of cut, it was perfect every time. That saw was stolen. I replaced it with the exact same model but the replacement wasn't a patch on the original. I've been fighting it for years. I liked the looks and features of the 1019L immediately but was wary because of the bad experience with the Bosch. Pro Tool Reviews and Tools of the Trade both recently reviewed CSMS's. Both had different experiences that, to me, suggest there are some (many?) inconsistencies in manufacturing. Good to know you're having a positive experience with a saw that has the handle in the correct orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    Good to know you're having a positive experience with a saw that has the handle in the correct orientation.
    Lol, I caught that Tim

I have a battery powered version of this saw and it is ok, but I had to wrestle with guide rails to make the saw cut straight. originally it would cut more in the middle. I bought it a year ago and tried two saws and both were not good out of the box. Seems like Makita had a bad batch. I also was after dust collection and smaller footprint, happy with those qualities, but still do not trust this saw

During black Friday I bought Milwaukee battery powered 7 1/4 miter saw, pretty happy with it, decent dust collection and very portable, cuts straight from the box.