Thread: Stanley Bailey #5 Broken Frog At Lateral Adjustment Lever

Stanley Bailey #5 Broken Frog At Lateral Adjustment Lever

Been looking for my first jack plane for a few months. Found a Stanley Bailey #5 at an antique store for $25 and couldn’t pass it up. Got home and found the frog is completely broken just below where the lateral adjustment lever would be (see pic).

Do I need to start searching for a new frog? Or will this still work fine?

IMG_4371.jpg

Did you check your breaker to see if it tripped? Maybe the brushes on the motor need replacing.

Welcome to SMC! There is actually a handtool sub-forum here called the Neanderthal Haven and one of the nice moderators will likely move the thread there for you.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    The plane can be used without the lateral lever. A small hammer or mallet can be used to adjust the lateral setting of the blade.

My blade tapping mallet was shop made:

Plane Mallet.jpg

The head on this is about 1" in diameter.

Your plane looks to be an early type 9. It would likely cost as much as the plane to find a replacement frog.

You may want to use this plane as is until you acquire a second #5. Then this one can become a scrub plane for rough timbers.

You may get lucky and find another plane early type 9 #4 or #5 cheap with a broken broken base and a good frog.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-10-2018 at 3:11 PM. Reason: changed 3 to #
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Agree with Jim on all he said.....
    Jerry

Thanks guys! Both for moving this to the correct place and for giving me some insight on the plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Starksen View Post
    Thanks guys! Both for moving this to the correct place and for giving me some insight on the plane.
    You are surely welcome. Here is an old post with a little information on the difference between the early and later type 9 frogs:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131234

Here is one of the images showing the differences:

Type 9 frogs and bases.jpg

The details are pointed out in the post.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)