Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fuel prices

I'm in Wyoming for the holidays and it was $3 ($2.999 to be accurate) for a gallon for diesel yesterday. Took about $100 to fill up my F-250. Lowest gasoline was about $2.20. I usually spend $0 on gas back home in New York. ;-)

I was thinking that the prices here would be cheaper considering the fact that there are oil fields everywhere and the fracking is in full swing.

Normally the next county over is 3 or 4 cents cheaper than here. This past month, we are cheaper by that margin. Gas hovering about $2.50, although I paid $2.43 at a station last weekend. I figure it has something to do also with gas tax (our is the highest in the country) and distance from the refineries, and where the refineries get their crude. Sort of like the cost of fresh flounder in South Dakota vs Ocean City Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Jersey gas is still 25-30 cents/gal. cheaper even with the .25/gal tax increase. And many small/independent Jersey stations charge 6 cents/gal. for credit or debit.
    Paid $2.33 this morning at Costco in Warminster--Wawa was at $2.59. The Speedway in Ringoes NJ is $2.21 according to GasBuddy. (Shell is $2.39) That's just not enough difference to warrant a (longer) trip over the water at this point including the $1.00 toll if I don't want to go through New Hope and across the narrow bridge. However, if I had other business in New Jersey, it would be what I'd be doing. The only time I head that way at this point since my daughter no longer volunteers at Tabby's Place is to buy diesel at the Speedway for my Kubota.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-24-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

with crude oil prices dropping on the world market, the price is below what makes North American fracked oil and oil shale, etc., economically feasible. Gas is $1.82/gal around here (low tax state).

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    with crude oil prices dropping on the world market, the price is below what makes North American fracked oil and oil shale, etc., economically feasible. Gas is $1.82/gal around here (low tax state).
    I think outside of AK, MO has the lowest gas tax, MS is close too. WA, CA and PA have the highest IIRC, with PA in the top spot.

I just looked an was correct on taxes. The lowest avg gas prices as of today are MO, AK and SC and the highest are AK, CA and WA. The spread is 1.88 to 3.44.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 12-24-2018 at 6:57 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The problem I have is I can't really get away from the numbers since I do my own taxes and since I still have a lot in equities and those are almost all index funds now so it is hard to miss the major market tickers when I watch any news.
    Well the last trading day has made it worse unfortunately. Like you, I've been invested for a while, and keep telling myself that they're not paper losses, we're just giving back paper gains. Sigh, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Yathin Krishnappa View Post
    I'm in Wyoming for the holidays and it was $3 ($2.999 to be accurate) for a gallon for diesel yesterday. Took about $100 to fill up my F-250. Lowest gasoline was about $2.20. I usually spend $0 on gas back home in New York. ;-)

I was thinking that the prices here would be cheaper considering the fact that there are oil fields everywhere and the fracking is in full swing.
    Cheyenne, Wyoming used to be the cheapest place along I-80 between California and Iowa to buy diesel, but that has changed in the past few years. Fuel pricing makes no sense when it comes to transporting refined fuel. Fuel next to a refinery can be much more expensive than at a station 150 miles from the refinery.

Fuel oil is very close, but not the same and will, after a time, clog up diesel filters and screw up injectors. Fuel oil often doesn't have the additives to keep it from jelling up at low temperatures. Older diesel engines (more than 30 yrs old) seem to do ok with it, but a modern diesel engine might do a few tank fulls and then problems are likely to start showing up.