Thread: Fitting the new saw in place

Fitting the new saw in place

My shop is in the basement of my house, and is L shaped. Right off the garage is 11’ wide by 32’ deep. This rectangle holds my 3 saws, my bench and the cyclone. The other rectangle of the L is 16’ by 18’ and holds my lumber and milling machines. I am almost ready to position the model 72, but before I drop it off the dolly and bolt the big wing on, I want to think about layout for a minute. I recently moved everything about, and I love the new workflow minus the new location for my cabinet saw. The powermatic is in that position now, and I have the unisaw pushed against the wall until it sells. Anything over 5-6’ in length requires me to open the door to the garage. This isn’t that big of a deal, but anything wider than 12” hits the bandsaw table on the outfeed. Didn’t realize it at the time, but the laguna’s table is 1” higher off the ground. I don’t have a brilliant solution to this problem, and it’s just another limitation of my space. I’m thinking of moving the cabinet saw forward and putting the bandsaw closer towards the garage door. In that position, I can push the bandsaw towards the wall another 7-8”, because my ductwork run ends. I need to play with that option a bit, because the felder table’s backstroke Would hit the bandsaw where it currently resides, but it’s narrow enough that it is out of the way. The same couldn’t be said for the 72. The other option is I leave the saw where is, and just position it on a platform to raise it up to clear the bandsaw table. I’m open to suggestions if anyone has an idea to help these three saws play better together. The last thing I’ll add is this is the main traffic route from the garage and driveway to the living quarters upstairs, so I need to keep a clear path or else my wife gets disgruntled.

I can’t answer your exact question but,...

I always find a to-scale drawing in plan view helps visualize shop layouts. Doesn’t have to be fancy. I do it in sketchup but graph paper and cutouts work too.

I think Grizzly has a free download of shop planner with premade cutouts for their tools. just find a tool they make similar in size to yours and play around.
    I would be shocked if it did not have some premade plans for simple rectangular rooms to get you started.
    Bil lD.

https://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

Umm...my first reaction is 'too much equipment and no place to build anything, lose the Felder' ' But it depends on what you build.

My shop is workbench centered, machines are peripheral.

Oh without a doubt its ten pounds in a five pound bag. It used to be worse with a floor standing mortiser and 37" dual drum sander in there too. I miss not having some form of a sander, and i cant imagine having a smaller planer, an 8" jointer, or no Felder. I would love a lot of open space for maneuvering work pieces etc, but this is the point that ive pared it down as minimally as i can. If the slider had a 8-10' stroke, then i might consider losing a cabinet saw to free up space, but im one of the few that doesnt view a slider as the end all be all table saw. There are things that a cabinet saw does better, and that is why i keep one around. And, like routers if i had room for 4 saws, i would have 4 saws so i didnt change blades until they were out for sharpening.

Before i left town,i monkeyed around with moving the two saws, and while the bandsaw has only 4' of outfeed where it currently sits i could wheel it forward on its mobile base to use the open man door as additional outfeed if necessary. More importantly, the PM72 and Felder will be unimpeded for 9-10' in either direction. Maintains a nice 5-6' wide walkway in and out of the basement too, which is very nice.