Thread: Delta DC380 Planer Problem

Delta DC380 Planer Problem

Just bought Delta DC380 planer and am unable to change feed rate. Can neither push in or pull out shaft. Do not know what speed it is running. Can you tell from shaft position? Looking for help in correcting.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff pushed "in" is 30 fpm and pulled "out" is 16 fpm. Are trying to switch the speeds with the machine running ? That is how it is supposed to be done.Mike.

I can not post the link but search for "dc380 planer manual owwm" finds the manual.

As this is first time seeing the machine I have no idea if pushed in or pulled out. I am trying to change speed while running. Thanks for the reply!

Knob sticks out about 2.5'' inches when pulled out and is about 1.5" in "in" position.

The manual says pushed in is 30 FPM and pulled out is 16 FPM. Do not know which position it is in but would guess pushed in. Really want to figure out to be able to use both positions.

Jeff it would be a good idea to change oil in the gearbox of that machine. The knob you are pulling on or pushing moves a set of gears in the gearbox. If you drain the oil you can pull the cover off the gearbox and see what is up. It is a pretty simple thing,shaft with a two gears that engage when you move it in or out.

I agree with Mike. Pull the gearbox apart and see how things look in there, then re oil.

I have already changed the oil. Might need to do again to do a look see...

The knob is missing on my unit. Any way you can tell me how far it sticks out without knob in each position? Not sure how big knob is.

Thanks for the reply!

Jeff I looked at the picture you posted and I think your planer is in the out position.Knob is about one inch or 1 1/4''. You can get a replacement at McMaster-Carr. Mike.

Here's what the inside is likely to look like:

1 tpos planr.jpg