Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Itty Bitty Contest

Hey John, didn't you leave out the rule about having to have the usual ID info on the bottom of the piece? You know...Species, signature and date!

Bill, earlier on I was just settin' here thinking how I might go about doing something like this. Then I saw your post. Now I'm just settin'.... Nice job, Bill!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey John, didn't you leave out the rule about having to have the usual ID info on the bottom of the piece? You know...Species, signature and date!

Bill, earlier on I was just settin' here thinking how I might go about doing something like this. Then I saw your post. Now I'm just settin'.... Nice job, Bill!
    Not a bad idea John!!!! Bill will have to sign his work. The rest of us don't have to, of course....But Bill does!

Now...Mr. Miliunas...Mr. Turners Forum Moderator Sir.....Methinks that in order to set a good example, you should mount a microscope to your safety glasses and get in the game. I'm going to do it, knowing full well I'll be in last place....Maybe we should give out M&Ms or something for participating?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stewart
    I'm in. I'll get some time this week-end. My son has been working with me in the shed. Ok if he turns something too? he's gettin pretty good. Made a box the first thing he ever did.
    I don't think there would be any objections to this Rich....The more the Merrier... And...hey...Where's the Pic of your son's box?
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Not a bad idea John!!!! Bill will have to sign his work. The rest of us don't have to, of course....But Bill does!

Now...Mr. Miliunas...Mr. Turners Forum Moderator Sir.....Methinks that in order to set a good example, you should mount a microscope to your safety glasses and get in the game. I'm going to do it, knowing full well I'll be in last place....Maybe we should give out M&Ms or something for participating?
    I'll have to see if I have a chunk 'o wood big enough, first! No, I'm serious here. I'll probably need to start with the equivalent of about a cord of firewood before I could come up with anything even close to that!!! Oh, and BTW: Cut the "Sir" garbage! In my book, "Sir" is reserved for my Dad or for folks serving or having served our Country! (Or, Mam, as the case may be! ) 'Round these parts, I'm just a plain old Joe Six-Pack trying to learn me something!
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 12-01-2005 at 3:24 PM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

My sons box

He gave it to somebody for a birthday present before I could get a shot of it. It was actually very good. Kids got a good eye. I make him nervous. I'm like a nervous hen when he is around power tools. I think he's going to be really good.

When ever I am turning, I shove my father out of the shop! Not too nice, but having someone look over my shoulder makes me really nervous. And i have to be relaxed when I turn.
    My brain hurts!

Arrrgh! Only 8 days?

I will if I can find the time! My main data hard drive just crashed and I have GOT to retrieve what I can...very time consuming. Why, oh why don't I follow my own advice???? Backup, backup, backup! Dont ever get slack about that just because it is a fairly new drive. They can all go at any time! Not much lathe time for me this week.

Ok guys,
    Now this is starting to get difficult, I'm sure glad you didn't ask for it in Scrimshaw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guys......I'm not a turner but from what I've seen so far.......You'd better elect Bill the Judge....and of course........Judges can't enter the contest!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

OK Guys I'm in. Just hope we have a good judge! John you need to pick a high quality objective person and not just an artsy type. Some people take these kinds of things very serious

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    Ok guys,
    Now this is starting to get difficult, I'm sure glad you didn't ask for it in Scrimshaw.
    Ahem. Hey Bill - I believe the guy said, "species, signature, and date". Nonconformity to the rules will get you kicked out of the contest.

On second thought - It's just peachy. Dontcha touch anything

Yup. I'm in as well. I think I'll shoot for something even our fearless moderator could do - a miniature toothpick!
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Yup. I'm in as well. I think I'll shoot for something even our fearless moderator could do - a miniature toothpick!
    Andy, you're fired!!! First, it was the cameras, then the PhotoShop magic, but now.....now....NOW you've gone and stole my idea, too!!!! I even stopped at the store on the way home from work and got some....errrrr......samples.. Yeah. Samples. A whole box of 'em just to make sure I get it right! Harumphphphph! Back to the drawing board!

Oh, and Bill, I think that will suffice just fine! I can assure you that, if I can even come up with something to submit, it won't have a sig, date or species on it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

I agree...besides, Ken Fitzgerald has a great idea! Hey Bill! Wanna be a judge???? It's a real great honor! You'll be great!!!

Yep....That oughta do it.
    ~john

Ok.....This is NOT my entry. It's just the first miniature I've ever done so I wanted to post it. In fact...It's almost too big for the contest. Diameter .747. Sheesh!!!

Anyway...it's my first...It's Mesquite Burl with a BLO friction finish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (106.2 KB, 133 views)
    ~john

I think I'll be in if I got the time, but I think Bill definitely needs to be judge. We could just say he won the 1st contest and start a new one.

Ernie