Thread: loose lateral adjuster

loose lateral adjuster

hello,
    I have collected some older stanley hand planes. Some on ebay and some were given to me. I have noticed that some of them have loose handle on the lateral adjusters and some are tighter. The loose ones seem ok but I was wondering if I can tighten them up a bit. I have noticed unfortunately that one is loose and does still work but I can lift it up and off. Is it a matter of carefully peening it. I actually have never done this before but I am sure I could figure it out. In the case of the one that can be lifted off, would that protruding pin be too short now? If so I am not sure what to use, would a rivet sticking up through, and peening it do the trick.
    thanks Tim

Blog Entries
    The problem with peening the rivet on the lateral adjuster is the frog. It is made of cast iron and is easy to break if you mis you mark when peening. If you can get some soft metal rod of the right size you may have a better shot at it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    How about a small bolt with loctite replacing the rivet?
    It's worth try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    How about a small bolt with loctite replacing the rivet?
    It's worth try.
    It could interfere with the cap iron or even the lever cap spacing.

If one is good with a drill it would be better to start with a nail of the right size. Cut the point or head off. It could help to drill out a little material then cut it to a length. You will have to determine this part. Then drill a hole at the other end. It might be possible to peen one end over before installing this into the lever and frog. Then carefully use a punch to lightly expand the end until it is as tight as you desire.

A small vise can be set up with a punch to work like a small anvil:

Peening Set Up.jpg

The punch is resting on the piece of track.

There are many other ways to do the same thing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I actually tightened up the adjuster on a #4 Woden today using the above method. Just make sure that your "anvil", whatever it is, fits the rivet well. I used a piece of 5/16" rod and it worked fine.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Have used the domed head of a carriage bolt ( smaller ones...where the dome fits the opening) locked into the metal vise...ball end of the hammer to tap the rivet down....One hand to hold the frog steady, the other to use the hammer...hit the lever's side of the rivet...

thanks for the ideas, they all really help
    Tim