Thread: Christmas with llamas

Christmas with llamas

It's Christmas time! Llamas are always in demand for parades around here. This was yesterday at the Karns Christmas Parade in Knoxville.

llamas_karns_christmas.jpg

I took the alpaca Dria (in front), and the llamas Nika and her mother Ixchel. The snow held off until this morning.

JKJ

John,better get that photo copyrighted before you see it on a calendar with "Santa preparing for a test flight "
    Merry Christmas to you,your family, and all the elves!

UC Berkely just had there llamapaloza where they bring in llamas for the students to pet just before finals.
    They trick students to volunteer being helpers and shoveling out the stalls for free. They think they are getting a great deal to pet the lamas and only have to shovel llama poop for the privilege.
    Bill D.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2018/12/03...mas-were-here/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    UC Berkely just had there llamapaloza where they bring in llamas for the students to pet just before finals.
    They trick students to volunteer being helpers and shoveling out the stalls for free. They think they are getting a great deal to pet the lamas and only have to shovel llama poop for the privilege.
    Bill D.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2018/12/03...mas-were-here/
    I get people all the time (usually female) wanting to come to the farm and pet, walk, feed, and even clean up after them. A single guy wanting to meet girls couldn't do better than walk a small llama or alpaca or two around in a busy place - a guaranteed chick magnet! We'd be rich if I charged $1 for a selfie.

We had a llamapaloza near here a few years ago as an educational thing, open to the public. We had petting, rides in a cart pulled by a llama, shearing and yarn spinning demonstration, and llama fiber and things for people to buy. It was a big success.

This was part of the South East Llama Rescue organization. (We catch, transport, doctor, foster, and find homes for abandoned, unwanted, or abused llamas and alpacas. I've transported them as far as Orlando, Florida for adoption.) Every time we get them out to walk at a rest area or somewhere people stop and talk, bring their kids over, take pictures.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    John,better get that photo copyrighted before you see it on a calendar with "Santa preparing for a test flight "
    Merry Christmas to you,your family, and all the elves!
    I have some photos of Mark StLeger with the llamas when he visited - he would make a much better santa!

BTW, that was the first time the daughter Nika was off the farm and her first public event - she took it all in stride; I think she'll be the perfect PR llama. She's about a year and a half old. I can't believe how fast she has grown! (This is a few days old - they grow about a pound a day at first)

baby_llama_IMG_20170608_205448_666.jpg

The alpaca Dria in the picture is full grown, about 4 years old. They grow fast too! This is when she was maybe an hour old.

baby_alpaca_dria_IMG_0844.jpg

Merry Christmas to you, too!

JKJ

Matk Twain said something to that affect about dogs and young children. He also said dogs do not grow up and tell the truth about their owners.

Love that pic of baby hiding behind mom and trying to see over her.