Thread: Fixing a hole in granite steps

Fixing a hole in granite steps

A railing guy drilled a wrong hole in a two-inch thick granite step leading to my front door. The hole is about 1" wide. What's the best way to fill that hole? A concrete mix? Some sort of caulking? A specialty product? It'll be under a railing in an unobtrusive spot so the look is not as important as making sure it's filled so it doesn't fill with water/ice and crack, etc. Any help will be appreciated. (And, no, I don't trust the knucklehead railing guy to fix it correctly.)
    Thanks!

No idea, except that there is a product out there called Fillachip that's made for small repairs in granite and other natural stones. You might fill the majority of the hole with concrete and only the top layer tinted to match the granite. Regardless of what you do, make sure you charge your contractor for whatever it costs to do the repair. He screwed up, he ought to pay for it.

Contractor should have insurance to replace the granite.

Non shrink grout.

Railing used to be set in molten sulpher or molten lead. I would say hydraulic cement today.
    Bill D.

Easiest would be epoxy in the caulking tube for setting anchor bolts in concrete. You can find it in Lowes or Home Depot where the bags of concrete are-not where all the other caulking is. Make sure you get a tube that has the mixing nozzle still attached to the caulking tube. Sometimes those get stolen. The mixing is done as it gets pushed through the nozzle.

If you level out the top of the epoxy, wipe away any overages with paper towels, and acetone, some of the saved granite powder from drilling the holes can be patted on the top, and it will even come close to a color match.

edited to add a link to show what it looks like: https://www.acehardware.com/departme...BoCvgkQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-09-2018 at 6:54 PM.

I was gong to suggest grinding up some of the same stone into a powder and mixing with epoxy or mortar.

But if it was a contractors screw up I would hold them to making it right or give you a significant refund on the project. And not like $500-1000 but like what it would cost him to make it right if you insisted. Labor and materials then maybe something for you having to look at that hole for the rest of your life.

Thanks. This seems the best route. Thanks all.