Thread: Does anyone know what the name of this joint is?

Does anyone know what the name of this joint is?

I thought I posted this yesterday but I must have misclicked or something. Thanks.

f73cc55acfcf9c2e11f310eed00844ef.jpg

Half lap, or cross lap
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Not sure what it is called, but the overall effect is stunningly beautiful...I am betting it is very sturdy as well!

Blog Entries
    Just a heads up, that is not a strong joint unless the extensions are quite long.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I just find this joint to be stunning, yet simple.

Thanks James.

I would probably be cursing that bed frame every night. Good example of style overruling function.

Looks like a shin knocker and toe stubber to me! I like the look too, but it’s really just a half lap joint with a block thrown in as a foot. I wouldn’t use it just because stubbing a toe first thing out of bed doesn’t start the day on the right “foot”.

We had a bed that went together with that same sort of joint. It was made of koa and my wife brought it back when she moved from Hawaii. It was easy to set up but I was always banging my shins on it. The name of the joint sort of changed depending on how fresh the latest bruise was.

I certainly agree that joint would be a painful hazard on a bed frame, but it did make an interesting corner joint for a 2 X 4 Challenge project for our woodworking club a couple of years ago.
    Pic-7.jpg
    Aisian Inspired Box.jpg

A lot design has some functional element. In fact, doing something a little different than what is 100% functional is some of the more interesting design elements. I believe Frank Lloyd Wright was known for pleasing architecture that didnt necessarily make the best structural design.

Like the bed, like the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    We had a bed that went together with that same sort of joint. It was made of koa and my wife brought it back when she moved from Hawaii. It was easy to set up but I was always banging my shins on it. The name of the joint sort of changed depending on how fresh the latest bruise was.
    Dave, not sure why it would be a shin banger? Because it sticks out or sits to low? thanks. brian

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    A lot design has some functional element. In fact, doing something a little different than what is 100% functional is some of the more interesting design elements. I believe Frank Lloyd Wright was known for pleasing architecture that didnt necessarily make the best structural design.

Like the bed, like the box...
    This was written before morning coffee and just now re read it and makes no d*#n sense.... My apologies for taking up space that could be better spent on ... .just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Dave, not sure why it would be a shin banger? Because it sticks out or sits to low? thanks. brian
    On the bed we had, the rails stuck out too far. Actually, there was a horizontal piece on top of the rails, too. It's especially bad if the dyne or duvet is large enough to cover the frame.