Thread: How deep is deep

How deep is deep

I’m trying to deep engrave aluminum but struggling to make it happen. I read the thread a few weeks back talking about deep engraving aluminum and I am curious, how deep is deep. .010”, .005”, .003”?

Any pointers to engraving aluminum?
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

deep is what you need it to be. For firearm engraving, serial numbers, etc., it needs to be .003 minimum. To paint fill you will need more. For engraving you want to look deep it really depends on the material and what look you want. Deep could be .001, .01, .1, etc. I don't have a MOPA machine so my settings won't really apply, however, I use 100P, 250S, 30F for hogging out material, then I'll use 80P, 500S, 40F to clean up the bottom. Also use alternating hatch angles to help keep the bottom smooth and also to remove material a bit faster.

I've found that aluminum has a tendency to melt rather than cleanly ablate if you get too tight on the hatch, too slow on the cut, etc., and you end up trying to remove the same stuff over and over... Experiment with fairly wide hatch routines and auto-rotate (which I set at 17° so that rarely if ever does one cut routine repeat in the same place)... then use finer hatch runs for cleanup-

I've also found that hardened tool steel is easier to get deep that aluminum...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    And it seems to me to be related to the grade of aluminum. I use metric and hatch most at .03mm, but one thing that works well if you REALLY need to go deep on aluminum is to add a WOBBLE.
    Play with those settings (under the advance setting tab below power settings) it seems to really help hog it out.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks for all of the replies. The customer needs some text engraved into some 1/4" anodized aluminum. Like a dummy I failed to ask what alloy of aluminum nor what type of anodizing. I'll call and ask tomorrow. They didn't have a depth requirement, just didn't want it to come off, so I told him I'd engrave a few different depth and let him pick.

I'm just practicing on some 6061.
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Is it colored? If so then you don't want any depth at all, you just want to bleach away the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Is it colored? If so then you don't want any depth at all, you just want to bleach away the color.
    It’s a medium grey color. They want some depth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    It’s a medium grey color. They want some depth to it.
    Make sure you let them know that any protection that the anodizing gave them is negated when you engrave through it. It may not matter but I would be sure to let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Make sure you let them know that any protection that the anodizing gave them is negated when you engrave through it. It may not matter but I would be sure to let them know.
    Gary... Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to mention that.
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop