Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" Ford Ranger pickup and 4x8 sheet goods

The 2019 Ranger (US) isn't available yet, it's quite a bit different than the older models. According to the Ford Web site the prelim specs (for 4x4 model) are 1650 payload and 7500 towing. Vehicle weight is 4354.

I agree you'd be foolish to tow 7500 or even 5000 lbs frequently with it. But I'd like to be able to occasionally tow 5k and for short distances. Going by MSRP an F150 would be at least $5k more, probably more like $7k. You get more truck, sure, but it won't really fit in my garage and it's a pain to park anywhere.

Is it right for everyone? Of course not, but it hits the sweet spot for me.

wow, if payload is what you can put in the box thats alot and if that towing capacity is accurate that is huge for the weight of the vehicle, its lighter than my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    The 2019 Ranger (US) isn't available yet, it's quite a bit different than the older models. According to the Ford Web site the prelim specs (for 4x4 model) are 1650 payload and 7500 towing. Vehicle weight is 4354.
    That's a thousand pounds lower vehicle weight than my Grand Cherokee with a 7200 lb. limit! My payload is lower, however, at about 1200 lbs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier Kingcab V6 4x4 and it is good for about 1500lb in the box and a max towing weight with trailer brakes of something around 5,900lb. It all depends on the weight of passengers, luggage, stuff in the box, and the trailer weight and how all of it is distributed. I’m sure all trucks are the same. Load the box to the max and you can’t pull a trailer because of the added tongue weight. I like my Frontier, just wish it was made in Japan instead of 100% made in the US.

If you want to carry sheet goods, order a cab/chassis and get a tray fitted. It hasn't got the style, but what are the priorities?

Towing capability and what you should tow are very different things. A trailer that exceeds tow vehicle weight is never going to do it safely at speed. My Range Rover is rated to tow 2000kg at any speed, 4000kg at 80km/h and 6000kg at 60km/h. Would I do this on the road? No, it isn't even legal and probably suicidal but if I did the drive train and chassis won't break - the vehicle still works 32 years on. Cheers