Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New" Ford Ranger pickup and 4x8 sheet goods

"New" Ford Ranger pickup and 4x8 sheet goods

Ford is releasing a "new" ford ranger pickup in the USA for 2019. I could not find much information on the size of the bed except the max length is only 6 feet. No idea if it is at least 4 feet wide like the older rangers were. I heard it is something like 85% as big as a full size truck so maybe 4x8 sheets can lay flat between the wheel wells?
    maybe a Australian or South African member can offer information on a 2012 or newer model.

I just bought a German 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak with the extended cab (Super Cab elsewhere). While North American production of the Ranger stopped at the end of 2011, production continued for the rest of the world, with most being made in South Africa. Pickup trucks are just now becoming popular in Germany, with versions available from Ford, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Mercedes. Since all versions of the Ranger share the same wheelbase, adding more cabin room detracts from the space in the bed, so I went with the extended cab version so I could have some behind the seat storage and a decent bed length. The most common version of the Ranger is the four-door version and I have never seen a normal cab version on the roads here. I've seen only one other extended cab version.

I can't speak for the upcoming U.S. model, but it is not possible to carry full-sized sheet goods flat on the bed. The space between the wheel wells is too narrow. The tailgate opening is 133cm wide (just over 52 inches), so sheet goods will fit through the tailgate, but will have to be carried above the wheel wells.

I replaced a 2003 U.S. model Ford Ranger Edge that had the standard cab, and there is a big difference between the two models, including the size and capacity. I had both parked side by side before I sold the Edge, and the Wildtrak is longer, taller, and wider than the Edge. The Edge easily fit in my garage next to my wife's Ford Mondeo, but the Wildtrak barely fits. I had to rearrange the workbenches and shelving in my garage to accommodate the Wildtrak.

The bed of my Wildtrak is a little shorter than the Edge because of the extended cab; however, this will not impact my ability to carry full sheets of plywood. The sizes for sheet goods in Germany vary, but plywood and gypsum wall board are available in 125 x 250 cm (about the same as a 4'x8' sheet in North America). I built a carrier using construction-grade wood that holds the sheet goods level with the top of the wheel well in the bed. I have to carry full-size sheet goods with the tailgate down, but most of the load is carried by the supports in the bed.

Here's an image showing nine sheets of 19mm (3/4-inch) plywood I bought for my miter saw station loaded on my Edge. The Wildtrak can carry about six to seven more sheets than the Edge because the side of the bed is higher and the payload capacity is more.

Plywood_Delivery-1 by Mike66GE, on Flickr

I'll modify the carrier to fit the Wildtrak and include images of it in this thread.

I've got my eye on that new ranger too, mostly because it supposedly can tow something like 7000+ lbs and is a lot more garage and wallet friendly than a full size. Full size trucks have gotten stupid expensive! I don't tow heavy often, or for long distances, but need to do it from time to time.

On my older ranger, I had a bed liner that had several molded in notches designed to support 2x4s across the bed right at the level of the wheel wells. So you could drop in the 2x4s and then slide full size sheet goods on top of the 2x4s. Of course they would stick out the end. Worked nicely. I have a 5x9 trailer I use for sheet goods now, but it would be nice to not have to deal with it for a sheet or two of sheetrock or plywood.

Blog Entries
    I will stick with my 2014 F150. I bought new with no miles in 2015. It is a 6 cylinder and runs really good. I have a long bed with a retractable bed cover.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I will stick with my 2014 F150. I bought new with no miles in 2015. It is a 6 cylinder and runs really good. I have a long bed with a retractable bed cover.
    Military Sales offers the F150 in any configuration here, and I was considering one to replace my Edge after I retire in Germany. Unfortunately, it won't fit in my garage, could not be delivered in time, and the cost to convert it to pass the German inspection started at €2,500.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Wow, I would like to see how well you wrap Christmas presents!
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    I have a son and his son (grandson) that drive F-150 trucks. It must run in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Wow, I would like to see how well you wrap Christmas presents!
    I had to make sure nothing went airborne on the Autobahn.

I have a Toyota Tacoma, which has the pockets formed into the bed. Can use a 2x4 or 2x6 to lay in across the bed to haul sheets or other wide objects. Used mine to haul some replacement windows home. Amazing how I can abuse the Taco, and not damage it. Used it to pull a car trailer piled full of lumber heaped up. Had to hold the speed down to about 35 to avoid making the truck fish tail, but after once learning my top speed, made several trips. Also use the car trailer to haul logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    On my older ranger, I had a bed liner that had several molded in notches designed to support 2x4s across the bed right at the level of the wheel wells. So you could drop in the 2x4s and then slide full size sheet goods on top of the 2x4s. Of course they would stick out the end. Worked nicely.
    My '86 short bed Ranger had the same pockets on each side of the wheel wells, no liner.

-Tom

All Australian Rangers and Mazda BT50's (same vehicle) are made in Thailand.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Rangers never could carry a full size sheet of ply.

That said, if you look at the price and gas mileage, I think you'll find a full size F150 isn't much, if any, more.

As for towing 7000+ lbs, its unbelievable to me a truck that size would handle it. I certainly would never attempt pulling a load that weighs more than the truck!! You have to think about power, brakes and transmission.

I know what 5000 lbs feels like behind my F250 Powerstroke and that's why I'm saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Rangers never could carry a full size sheet of ply.
    Rangers can definitely carry full sheets of plywood in the bed, but not flat on the bed.

Robert did someone say the Ranger could do 7,000 lbs I dont see that at as possible, Neighour has one.

I think my buick wagon would outdo that pickup. Ive towed 5,500 with it times in the past with load equalizers and it was fine but then it weighs 4,600 lbs, what does a ranger weigh. My car wasnt rated for the weight I towed but on the door of a second one I have with a tow package its rated for 5,000 and that is with no load equalizers,. not sure they change the weight rating and likely don't but there is the case from the manufacturer of the car being able tow more than its own weight. On the tow package you get a high rear end number, posi, trans cooler and engine oil cooler plus maybe more im forgetting. On my older one I had the trans rebuilt for more snap and with towing in mind number one, Change was very positive with or without a trailer.

And you can put 4 x 8's in easily in the buick, ive seen a number say you can close it up as well but I think that is hogwash, for sure you cant drive it unless you are a stick figure. Ill have to check on day if all the way forward allows the rear gate to close and dont really care if it can, if you cant drive it same time ist of no use to state that

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Robert did someone say the Ranger could do 7,000 lbs I dont see that at as possible, Neighour has one.
    I had the opportunity to compare the U.S. and European models of the Ranger, and the similarities end with the name. I agree the U.S. model likely can't tow 7,000 pounds, nor would I try it. However, I have no problem believing the European model can tow its rated capacity of 3,500 kilograms, and wouldn't hesitate to load a trailer to the limit. The specifications for the 2019 Ranger Raptor indicate the towing capacity is reduced to 2,500 kilograms, but the other ranger models are still rated at 3,500 kilograms.

The speed limit in Germany for vehicles with trailers, including tractor trailers, is 100 KPH (about 60 MPH). Unless the trailer has the tires and suspension upgrades, the speed limit is 80 KPH.