Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Square Do Chisels/Plane Irons Need To Be?

I like chisels and plane blades to be square, chisels more so than plane blades. But, I square them by eye on the Tormek jig & stone. I usually don't mess around with a square unless I am having a really bad sharpening day. I figure if I can't see it as out of square, it is close enough. As long as the tool works as well as it needs to, that is all that matters.

I'm not sure if there is an actual benefit to a chisel edge being square. It probably helps when registering the blade against the wood to have the chisel be perpendicular. I know it would drive me nuts if the chisel leaned to one side when I did that, and maybe it would drift when being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I'm not sure if there is an actual benefit to a chisel edge being square.
    Absolutely there is! Imagine cleaning out the bottom of a dado with a skewed chisel. Or chopping dovetails. Or squaring off mortise walls. Or...
    Mark Maleski

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maleski View Post
    Absolutely there is! Imagine cleaning out the bottom of a dado with a skewed chisel. Or chopping dovetails. Or squaring off mortise walls. Or...
    Yep, that is probably why out of square chisels drive me nuts

I don't check for square after honing - only while establishing the bevel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    [edited]

I'm not sure if there is an actual benefit to a chisel edge being square.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maleski View Post
    Except for chopping, my skew chisels do come into play when cleaning out the bottom of a dado, cleaning mortise walls and removing waste in dovetails, especially half blind dovetails.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I don't check for square after honing - only while establishing the bevel.
    +1. That's when I check as well.

Blog Entries
    You might consider easing the bevels at the outside of the edge to eliminate tracks. I do this on plane irons.