Thread: vCarve Pro vs Aspire?

vCarve Pro vs Aspire?

I'm researching differences and things as I'm thinking about getting into CNC work in my own shop.
    Seems like a "standard" for CNC software is vCarve Pro and I also noticed Aspire out there. I'm sure there are many other software applications for CNC woodworking but what are the differences here? Will they both do the same thing? Is one more specialized that the other? Inquiring and learning minds wanna know.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis...
    When it comes to cutting, VCarvePro and Aspire will cut exactly the same items. That said, Aspire allows you to manipulate or build from scratch 3D models and import more than 1 from non-Vectric sources
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

VCarvePro and Aspire are "sisters"...VCarvePro can "use" 3D models, but you can only "develop" in 2D-2.5D with VCP. Aspire adds the 3D modeling capability. At this point, I'm seriously considering the upgrade to Aspire, despite the $1300 cost for that upgrade. Why? Because there are just some things that I'd like to be able to create that I can't in VCP. I can do them in the "free" Fusion360, but I have to learn a whole 'nuther piece of software to do that whereas I've become pretty darn efficient in VCP, so I'd only have to learn the modeling piece for Aspire. That said, Aspire doesn't do everything that some other 3D modeling applications can do...hard-core 3D development is going to be better in Rino or Fusion360 or other applications. But for many of us, Aspire does the job and it's actually reasonably priced.

Vectric makes trial versions of all of its software available for download. My suggestion to you is to grab the Aspire trial and then work your way through the excellent tutorials available on YouTube. Go to the Vectric "page" and then select "Playlists" at the top. Choose the Aspire v9 and v9.5 playlists and have at it. I honestly thing you'll pick things up quickly. And as always, I'm happy to help...you know how to reach me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My advice is to buy vcarve pro and learn that. For me it did 99% of what I wanted to do. If you later see that you have a need for Aspire, you can always just pay to upgrade. They don’t make you buy Aspire in full. Many of the functions in Aspire are the same functions in vcarve pro so you won’t be wasting your time learning something that you can’t use somewhere else.

Bobby is right, the upgrade from VCarve Pro ($500) to Aspire ($2000) for me was in the neighborhood of $1,500.00 several years ago. On the Vectric web site there is a chart that provides the difference between the features of both programs. The annual upgrade for Aspire has been around $400.00 each year as they add more features, every upgrade has been worth the cost IMO.

I ran VCP for a year before upgrading to Aspire. VCP should do almost everything a “business” would need. As a retired hobbyist I bought Aspire just to play with and learn. From what I have read 3-D and rotary 4th axis work are not very profitable from a business standpoint.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Debated the same thing when I upgraded a year ago. VCP 9.5 will do Imported 3D images, and if you do a lot of 3 (2.5D really) they have a separate program and I forget the name but its $300 more. Helps prepare the image to carve. Still a $1000 cheaper.
    3D modeling and imaging is tough to learn, you have to learn it for 3D printing but I think for the average wood shop its one of those gee its nice to have things, but you may never need it. I'd take the advice above go with VCP and if you Need Aspire then upgrade.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Both VCarve and Aspire are products from the same company, Vectric. Aspire is a superset of VCarve, and contains additional functionality. These are very popular, well supported, and relatively easy to use, but have enough depth that few master all the possibilities.

There are many other programs that many use as well. Easel, Carbide create and f-engrave are often used on lower end machines. Fusion 360 has been mentioned. It is free for students, hobbyists and startups (commercial use for companies making under $100k per year). It is a full 3d modeling program, with CAM capabilities. Not as easy to use for artistic type projects like signs, but enables drawing complete assemblies like a piece of furniture, and even animating things like a drop leaf table or gear train.

Another class of programs exist that are mainly used by commercial companies, like EnRoute, which appears comparable to Aspire, and available on a subscription basis (avoiding the large one time expense). There are numerous packages geared to cabinet manufacturers like Mozaik, cabinetsense, ecabinet systems, and many others.

Look around, there are lots of options that may make the types of projects you are interested in easier, or at least possible, and/or less expensive.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group