Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do you need more than a basic bench plane set?

I am new here and just starting to get back into woodworking. I used to have a fairly typical, complete machine-based shop based around a Delta contractor saw. After moving I did not have the space and got rid of everything. Now that I have space was thinking of buying power tools again, but then saw Paul Sears and Rob Cossman videos and now plan to go hand tools. (I’ll start another thread on my overal shopping list). Once I get through my first list of projects - workbench, tools box, saw bench, etc. I have a list of furniture and cabinets I am supposed to make....

Right now for planes I am thinking:
    #4, #5, and #7 block planes. (I have a nice vintage 5, and two 4s of questionable quality.
    The Veritas joinery kit (plough, skew rabbet, router, medium shoulder)
    LN block plane (on the fence for this one)

I will be adding a Dewalt planer for cleaning up stock — did I mention I have a sawmill and live on 100 acres?

Blog Entries
    Howdy John and welcome.

Have you done anything to the #4 "of questionable quality"?

Can you post images?

Check out:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....al-wisdom-FAQs

for a few posts on cleaning up and tuning an old plane into a good user.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One of the #4s is a Stanley Handiman, the other is no name with a pressed metal frog. I haven’t touched the off-brand one yet, but it’s sole is pretty scored on the bottom. The Handyman is in good shape so I just did a quick flattening of the iron, and sharpened per Paul Sears process. The blade is actually slightly skewed so I just tried using it as more of a scrub plane on a workbench of 2x4s I cobbled together.

the 5 I spent a little more time on, and am I pin love with that plane. Even with a broken tote it feels right in the hand! I need to flatten the bases and take the edges of the blade off better.

I am throwing together a bench top for some legs I made 20 years ago. These are 2x4s glued up straight from the lumber yard. I will have to get pictures of the other planes this weekend. Still in the rough state so lots of plane tracks!

AB73A991-961D-45D1-814E-2CF90F0BA564.jpg

Blog Entries
    Good looking bench top.

Are there any good yard sales or flea markets in your area?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Not really as we are out in the country. We do have some “trade days” and some flea markets but the the pickings are slim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Isgren View Post
    Not really as we are out in the country. We do have some “trade days” and some flea markets but the the pickings are slim.
    That is too bad. A #7 is difficult to find in the wild. Most of the planes at yard sales are #4s or #5s since those were the most common for carpenters and home shop woodworkers. A #7 was usually only something a cabinet maker or other fine woodworking person would have.

My #7 was found at an antique shop:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373

It cost me $21.25 with tax.

One of my #8s is considered my most expensive five dollar plane. It cost $5 at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. It came with a broken frog that cost about $35 with shipping. It is sitting waiting for me to get a round tuit to repair the tote and put it back together.

The deals are out there, you just have to keep looking and be vigilant.

jtk