Thread: Tool Table Build

Tool Table Build

I put together a table for my new Black Friday purchase, Dewalt 735. It's made almost entirely from a single SYP 2x12x8'
    I thought it would be a good experiment for a dye process I found online, the tea/vinegar stain. Definitely colored the wood, but
    I wouldn't call it attractive. Guess I know now to avoid it, at least on yellow pine...

The legs are mortised into the top. The lower frame pieces are through mortises with oak drawbore pins. The cross piece is a through sliding dovetail.
    Seems solid enough, should make a good home for the planer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Great design to get it all from one piece of lumber.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Steven,

I also haven't had much luck getting an even stain on SYP.

Maybe a good dose of direct sunlight for a few days would wash it out a bit?

Anyway, I've long since given up coloring SYP. I've been leaving it yellow and orange or else painted.

Really like the proportions on the table BTW. The healthy overhang on the top with those low stretchers looks great with the more square tables IMO. Much better than that spray painted pressed steel stand Dewalt sells for the 735!
    Dojo Kun, 1: Be humble and polite.

I like it! Nice work. I too build lots of things from construction lumber. Very cool to get that out of a single 2x12. I'm sure it will serve you well for a long time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I might be the odd man out, but I'm actually liking the stain color.

Flamone,

I thought the same thing, that the stain did pretty well.

Stew

I have used Olde Century Colors gel stain on SYP and it works great. I have a house full of 11" wide SYP floors, and the coloring is even and has been very stable over the last 10 years.

Looks ok but I think you are going to find it tippy when handling large boards thru the planer. Maybe think about some storage for something heavy in the base.

On second look, maybe add trestle table style feet to the bottom to give it a longer footprint. And making it any lower would help if that works out for you.

To make it easier to wheel around you can add a pair of handles that slide out or swing out. Have done that and it works great.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 12-17-2018 at 8:50 AM.