Thread: Work Sharp For Primary Bevel?

Work Sharp For Primary Bevel?

Wondering if anyone here uses a Work Sharp 3000 for primary bevels? Also, I'd like to know if you use diamond plates and if so, exactly how they fit with the Wide Blade Attachment? From what I've been told, the sit on top on the glass plate. Is it still possible to get the Attachment flush with the diamond plate?

I use a WS3000 for primary bevels on my irons and chisels up to 2 inches wide and I love it. It's quick and consistent. I usually work up to about the 400 grit and then switch to stones for a secondary bevel. I don't use diamond plates, so I can't speak to that issue.

I use 60 grit stearate discs from Klingspor to grind all my chisels and plane irons on the WS3000. I go from that straight to a Shapton Pro 1000 waterstone.

I'm assuming you guys use the Wide Blade Attachment table and guide for plane irons? Do you find it gives you a nice, square edge?

I don't have the wide blade attachment which is why I can only use the worksharp for irons up to 2 inches wide. For the wider irons, I use a honing guide on some PSA sandpaper to create/establish the bevel. I start with 80 and then go to 120 then 220 then the stones. Depending on the plane, I generally don't get too concerned about whether it's 100 per cent square since I can compensate with the lateral adjuster.

Blog Entries
    The WS3K is not a grinder but, can certainly set primary bevels within reason. Folks who try to put the original grind on irons with the WS3K may be the ones complaining about abrasive lifetimes(?). I use the waide blade table (I used to use a shop made but, got a real one for a gift) and a Veritas MK-II honing jig. This lets me take the iron from the WS3K to my diamond stones easily.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The WS3K is not a grinder but, can certainly set primary bevels within reason. Folks who try to put the original grind on irons with the WS3K may be the ones complaining about abrasive lifetimes(?). I use the waide blade table (I used to use a shop made but, got a real one for a gift) and a Veritas MK-II honing jig. This lets me take the iron from the WS3K to my diamond stones easily.
    Glenn, I'm with you on that. The honing guide that came with the WBA did not give me a square edge on the iron, so I switched to an MKII and it worked very well. I finally got the supplied guide to work pretty well, however there is something wrong with that guide, so I do have another one coming. At the very least, I still have the MKII to use.