Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lube your coring groove

Bob,
    I have been wanting for years to add this caveat to the video I have on youtube on the McNaughton system. I have been doing this for years and it does slick the wall to help with chip ejection. It also does not do anything to the wood as far as the finishing. I spray it as the bowl is turning and the tool is in the kerf. It does not gum up or have a chance to penetrate the wood to cause finishing issues. I am glad you posted this since it also helps cool the blade. As we know when steel gets hot it expands and the DW40 helps cool the blade therefore assisting in the advancement of the tool. I am typing this before I watch the video. I will now go back and see how you are spraying it to see if you do it similarly.

Yes very similar except I spray it myself while coring. I spray out of the can with the straw nozzle. It gives it more of a direct hit and no splashing. Your system seems to work just fine. Good job.

I'm gonna try that Don, thanks!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Bonertz View Post
    Yes very similar except I spray it myself while coring. I spray out of the can with the straw nozzle. It gives it more of a direct hit and no splashing. Your system seems to work just fine. Good job.
    Dale, usually I do the spraying very similar to what you are describing. I relax the pressure on the tool and spray a stream of WD- 40 into the grove above the tool point. This video was taken at our club’s shop. I found a good spray bottle at the big orange store ($7) which has a good pump that shoots a good stream of oil like the straw on the can. I suppose it wouldn’t be too difficult to affix a straw to it. Usually there are chips above the tip of the blade point that absorbs some the oil and will rub against the wall of the cut. I can buy a gallon of WD-40 for $18. Thanks for the comments. I recommend your video to all that ask me about coring. It is so well done.
    Member Illiana Woodturners