Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube your coring groove

Lube your coring groove

I core many of the bowl blanks that I mount on the lathe. I’ve found that a real plus in reducing stalling is spraying oil like WD-40 into the groove. The oil will lube, cool the cutting action, and assist in removal of the chips. As you watch the video listen to the sound without oil and with the oil spray.

Member Illiana Woodturners

I've heard of this doing before, but all I can think of is what a mess it must make with WD-40 being sprayed all over, not to mention wasting a lot of expensive WD-40. I've also heard of using water, but again I'm thinking what a mess it must make with water dripping and being slung all over.

So what happens to the wood where it is soaked with WD? I would think it would stink and possibly be difficult to finish?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Nope. The cores are rough outs. When finish turned, all surfaces are new wood. Water would swell the fibers much like it is doing when it stalling.

The wood was already wet. That’s steam coming out of the grove. There not that much oil being sprayed. The guy spraying may have been doing too much. The chips in the grove are aborning oil and lubing the grove as they evacuate from the grov. I haven’t found any evidence of oil being slung anywhere. The guy was being hit with chips when he raised his hand

Thanks Bob!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Do you think this would this work with a forstner bit?

I used to lube the gate/fingers that keep the blade from twisting, but didn't find lubing the inside to help at all. Biggest problem with the McNasty is how it drifts to the outside during the cut. I tweak the tips in just a hair, and that takes care of it. Other alternative is to open up the kerf as you go in. If you don't, the blade is one curve and the kerf is another, which is what causes the blade to bind up during the cut.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Works metal. Should work with wood. Any clear light oil would help cutting. I take it you would be hollowing after.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I used to lube the gate/fingers that keep the blade from twisting, but didn't find lubing the inside to help at all. Biggest problem with the McNasty is how it drifts to the outside during the cut. I tweak the tips in just a hair, and that takes care of it. Other alternative is to open up the kerf as you go in. If you don't, the blade is one curve and the kerf is another, which is what causes the blade to bind up during the cut.

robo hippy
    Reed, isn’t that bending on your YouTube feed? I believe that is why many keep pulling the tool to the left trying to keep it tracking. The newer blades are poorly made and need attention.

Cooling a Forstner bit

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Stan, long ago I hit on a way to drill with a Forstner bit. I direct a stream of compressed air into the hole while drilling. This not only cools the bit but clears the chips which also cools the bit and eliminates repeatedly backing the bit out of a deep hole.

I've used this method every since except for very shallow holes, say when drilling a shallow recess to hold a bowl/platter blank.

JKJ

I can't remember if I put bending the tip into that video or not. I did show how to bend out the twist that happens to them much use and abuse/catches.... I have argued with Kel about the bends on his blades, and he insists they are 'spot on'... Maybe I will have to make my own... Bending that last bit near the tip is the problem if you are starting with straight blade stock. Next to impossible to get enough leverage to make that part follow the curve. Still experimenting.

Biggest problem I have had with forstner bits is trying to drill with them when they are dull. Like all bits, if you are drilling a deep hole, you need to clear the chips before they clog it up....

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Biggest problem I have had with forstner bits is trying to drill with them when they are dull. Like all bits, if you are drilling a deep hole, you need to clear the chips before they clog it up....
    Keeping chips clear was the point of the compressed air - it magically clears as I drill. I started using this after a burned my finger on a bit that was hot from not clearing the chips.

To keep the bits sharp, I keep two sets. For woodturning and other holes where the smoothness doesn't matter so much I have sets of carbide bits, inch and metric. I've been using the same bits for at least 15 years and they still cut well. On the occasion where I need a smoother hole I use good quality steel bits.

When I'm using a Forstner and it seems to be getting too hot (steaming), then I sometimes squirt in some WD-40. It helps. Also, I haven't noticed any finishing problems. But I use primarily oils and solvent-based finishes rather than water-base.

I use acompressed air stream all then time when coring using the One Way system. It not only removes all the chips it cools the wood and cutting tip. And no mess.