Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop tour

Shop tour

I was watching a shop tour video the other day and was slightly appalled. Dirty, dark, disorganized, garbage equipment. I feel this shop is the complete opposite.

Last edited by Martin Wasner; 12-08-2018 at 7:05 PM.

Thanks for the tour. I don’t recall you showing the finishing area. You forget or farm that out to another specialty firm?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Thanks for the tour. I don’t recall you showing the finishing area. You forget or farm that out to another specialty firm?

No finishing in house. I sub it all out.

Awesome shop and awesome tour. Top notch as usual man.. really sweet.

Thanks for the tour, looks really well thought out and organized. How many employees do you have working in the shop? Do you have a seperate installation crew?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bender View Post
    Thanks for the tour, looks really well thought out and organized. How many employees do you have working in the shop? Do you have a seperate installation crew?
    Three plus myself in the shop.

Install is either sub'd out, or the contractor handles it.

Nice to see your shop and thanks for not complaining about how disorganized mine is. Dave

Great tour. I always love to see how the pro's set-up their shops and workflow. Out of curiosity, what make/model of miter saws are in those work areas?

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Great tour. I always love to see how the pro's set-up their shops and workflow. Out of curiosity, what make/model of miter saws are in those work areas?

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom
    OMGA mec300st

You sir are sick in the head. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Thats what I keep telling him. In reality I think its utterly awesome to be able to start with a clean slate and make everything the way you want it. Something I have chipped away at (never with a clean slate) and never come close to achieving. The focus and drive is nothing but impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Nice onesie, does it come in Men's?

+1 on all the positive feedback others have posted.

I would think discussion forum collaboration for business owners like you would be very valuable but I wonder if SMC is the place for it. Maybe a dedicated sub-forum? I say this because you have a totally different set of needs and a very different outlook than say, a hobbyist who wants to know which bandsaw to buy. Not that one is better or worse than the other, just very different needs and interests.

By the way, the amount of space and level of organization in your shop looks capable of really large production capacity. Are you at or near that capacity now, or did you build out for the future growth you anticipate? If the latter, I appreciate that it must have been a very difficult, classic short term vs. long term decision. Seriously, your shop could support the fabrication of all cabinetry and doors for a sizable subdivision (of course whether that's the market you want is another conversation!).
    Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Nice onesie, does it come in Men's?
    Even has a butt flap for ease of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Maybe a dedicated sub-forum?
    I've said there should be a pro forum for years

By the way, the amount of space and level of organization in your shop looks capable of really large production capacity. Are you at or near that capacity now, or did you build out for the future growth you anticipate? If the latter, I appreciate that it must have been a very difficult, classic short term vs. long term decision. Seriously, your shop could support the fabrication of all cabinetry and doors for a sizable subdivision (of course whether that's the market you want is another conversation!).
    Good job!

We're not even close to capacity. Most of that equipment sits idle all day long. I think absolute max that space can handle is seven people on the floor. I've got room to add another 10k square feet no problem. I'm not sure I want to reach that point though.

I've been meaning to look up goes many hours we've worked this year. I started last year with one employee, in need of another, then it was just me working 100 hour weeks for a bit. Then I hired the three guys I've got currently over about a six month span.

I'm courting some new clients, we'll see what next year brings. We won't break a million next year, but I'd like to see us push at least another $150k more than we did this year. We should be able to do about $200k per man. Should is a big word though.

I know one thing, I'm not buying much next year. I've got $160k worth of write offs in equipment purchases.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 12-09-2018 at 10:23 PM.