Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work Sharp3000 Sandpaper ???

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    So the discs are used by themselves, with no glass or is the glass used under the discs?
    No, they need the glass under them. Look at the lapidary machine I posted, it has almost the same setup as a WS3000 when the glass plate is on. Now there are thick lapidary plates BUT they are much more expensive, these are used on different machines without a built-in plate I have no idea if they will work on a WS3000.

I understand it is a leap of faith but only a $10 one. Also, keep in mind this is a sharpening discussion on the powertool sub-forum so you are less likely to get replies from people for whom sharpening is a religion or at least a hobby within a hobby. Most of them won't have much use for a WS3000 to begin with.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    No, they need the glass under them. Look at the lapidary machine I posted, it has almost the same setup as a WS3000 when the glass plate is on. Now there are thick lapidary plates BUT they are much more expensive, these are used on different machines without a built-in plate I have no idea if they will work on a WS3000.

I understand it is a leap of faith but only a $10 one. Also, keep in mind this is a sharpening discussion on the powertool sub-forum so you are less likely to get replies from people for whom sharpening is a religion or at least a hobby within a hobby. Most of them won't have much use for a WS3000 to begin with.
    Van, you're so right. Sharpening is a religion for some. I'm kind of in between. I enjoy the stones, but forming a new bevel by hand is no fun. Getting there quickly is why I got this WS. I will I indeed get some diamond plates and give them a try. Thank you for the start.

Watched a vid (mcauley designs) and he cut a magnetic sheet with PSA and stuck that to the glass to hold the metal plate. Seems like an idea worth trying .
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Watched a vid (mcauley designs) and he cut a magnetic sheet with PSA and stuck that to the glass to hold the metal plate. Seems like an idea worth trying .
    The DMT discs were the first diamond discs I saw used on a WS3000 and it uses a magnetic disc to switch them out quickly.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/D...SABEgIT7PD_BwE

I got one of these when they first came out, they are fine but just more expensive than the flat lap discs. I have the glass disc with the magnetic sheet still around somewhere, I may try it but using the knob is still pretty quick.

Thanks for the idea!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, now that I take a close look at the pic you sent on the lapping machine, I remember seeing one used on TV, on Gem Hunters. The disc was actually submerged water by just a fraction so the the water just kind of flowed over the surface of the disc.
    I just ordered some discs to try out. As I stated before, I'm concerned as to whether or not I will be able to use the Wide Blade Attachment table and guide, which I really like and also how quickly the discs load up and how easily they are cleared. That said, if they work out well, they will be a real savings in $, time and trouble over paper discs.