Thread: Art deco

Art deco

Anyone know of any resources for learning to build and design classic art deco furniture? I have have always wanted to focus on veneer work and I l9ve the style of this time period...

If I remember right a couple of guys invented it as a serious modern formal form. Symetrical is a requirement of Formal.
    I think they did well. I see the two main elements as vertical and exhuberant. I think that's easier for buildings than
    furniture. I would just look at pics and read what the "founders" wrote.

One more...inlaid laminate was popular for elevator doors and such. I've mentioned here as a good use for CNC work and
    no one was interested. The idea would work well since its origin (beyond electrical insulation) was for smooth decorated
    surfaces. Only currant use I ve seen is a lady who uses it to cover furniture .But you would never equate her work with
    Art Deco. I have to add that some people see no value in something once it is no longer drudgery.

The best way is to go and look at some examples of the real thing and take notes on proportions, materials and have a look at construction methods. Look at buildings as well as furniture. Take a tape measure with you. Going to the source is best because otherwise you are relying on opinion, not fact. Cheers