Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How does one keep gifts a secret these days??

Years ago, built my wife a harvest table. This was when I was teaching shop, so worked on it after school. Fellow teacher wanted to build his daughter a stand up desk as she was going into teaching. Everyday for two weeks, wife "chewed me out" for working on friends daughter's desk. But the look on her face when she came home from work on Christmas eve made it all worth i!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    You don't share computers. Your preferences will only show up on your computers, not hers. The rest... well, gifts aren't about surprises, they are about the thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This!!!!!!!!!! Some things are not meant to be shared... LOL
    Actually, we don't share computers, she does everything on her phone, I use the computers- the problem is, what we DO share is a Google account. Need I say more? Just today I got an email from Google about my free-ad stats. X-amount of people used this search term, X-amount used that search term, X-amount visited-- all that's okay, but then I read "X-amount of people called me" -- umm, exactly HOW do you know THAT?? And FWIW I have no 'smart' stuff, I have a land line, an old LG flip phone and zero smart phones...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I wanted to surprise the wife with a gift of Sherry's Berries for V-day a couple years ago. That damn company sent shipping details everyday via our email. That was the end of the surprise and also the end Sherry's Berries at our house.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Actually, we don't share computers, she does everything on her phone, I use the computers- the problem is, what we DO share is a Google account. Need I say more? Just today I got an email from Google about my free-ad stats. X-amount of people used this search term, X-amount used that search term, X-amount visited-- all that's okay, but then I read "X-amount of people called me" -- umm, exactly HOW do you know THAT?? And FWIW I have no 'smart' stuff, I have a land line, an old LG flip phone and zero smart phones...
    There's the problem. Don't do that. The Internet is not meant to be shared.

5. Quit using "GOOGLE" to search... I switched to "DUCK DUCK GO" which does not track your searches. No more ads for items I searched for.

When I buy groceries and the like I get them to give me an extra $10 or $20 in cash when I use the debit card. The small amounts don't arouse the wife suspicions and I can accumulate a bunch of cash over time. Then I buy the gift. When we had separate accounts it was never a problem but now with only a joint account the cat can find its way out of the bag.

Blog Entries
    My wife and I have sort of an unwritten rule that we don't look at our credit card account during December (Risky, I know). We also don't try to guess, ignore purchase confirmations from Amazon, and try not to peek at shipments. Most of all, we are experts at feigning surprise on Christmas morning.

No one in my family could possibly guess what sorts of things I want so I have to provide a list. I always make the list longer than is practical so I don't know which things I might get.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    My wife tried this on me once. I caught her...

She went into my emails and forwarded the email to herself one Sunday night . She knew I was looking at a new Hammer JP. The Monday morning she ordered it, arranged for delivery… Everything! There was a six week delivery on it. What she didn’t realize is I have my email set up so it sends a BCC to myself. Right away she The BCC and she went into my account and deleted the forward from my sent folder. She totally dropped the ball when she didn’t go into the deleted file and delete the BCC. The problem was the salesman was supposed to call me back within two or three days with availability. He never called me back. So I went back looking for emails. I called the dealer and said what the Hecks going on. One of the other salesman said you’re already paid on the list and we already informed you that delivery will be mid December. I told him cancel delivery I’ll pick it up. The salesman that was in cahoots called me back five minutes later. Later that evening I just gave my wife a big hug and said thank you. I asked her how do you think you were going to hide a 700 pound machine? She already arranged for it to get delivered to one of my neighbours house. Damn email trail Got her caught.
    She's a real gem Matt....................Rod.

Blog Entries
    I use a cardboard box in my workshop up on shelves above the bench.

Blog Entries
    Impossible. After over 50 years we both pretend we don't notice all the emails, strange deliveries, pop up ads, etc. Just easier that way.

We don't open boxes not addressed to us. It's not that hard.

The wife is a gift shaker. I put a glass spice bottle with a few screws in it along side the gift. The rattling camouflages the gift.

Buy local - Pay cash.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Buy local - Pay cash.
    That only works if the local stores have what you want. I have driven all over to find a specific and in the end had to order online.

I looked all over for some Chinet paper bowls recently. I tried grocery stores, Target, and Walmart to no avail. I finally ordered them from Amazon. I needed thick paper bowls for a project that didn't involve serving food.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I looked all over for some Chinet paper bowls recently. I tried grocery stores, Target, and Walmart to no avail. I finally ordered them from Amazon. I needed thick paper bowls for a project that didn't involve serving food.
    Did you try Walmart online? They will ship to your local store for pickup.

I am always amazed at what you can order from them, equestrian things, guide bearings for my Rikon bandsaw, power equipment, Reniassance wax. I didn't check but I suspect they carry Chinet stuff.