Thread: Cordless 5 1/2" circular saw

Cordless 5 1/2" circular saw

My first post about a small circular saw was vague about the size of "small". I'm looking for suggestions about a 5 1/2" saw. I've use one and found it very handy -- small and light and cut through rough lumber easily. I think it was a Ryobi but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

We run 6 1/2” DeWalt’s 20 V, solid saw, we use it for Hardi Plank with siding. Home Depot’s got some great deals on blades for this saw as well.

The 5 1/4" wood cutting saws are fairly limited today. Lower tier brands like Ryobi and B&D make them in 18v, the only mid-tier brand I am aware of that still makes a ~5 1/4" saw is Milwaukee makes the M12 5 3/8". Note that most if not all the mid-tier and higher 5 1/2" saws are metal cutting saws.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yes the smaller saws are normally sold as metal cutting saws but you can get blades for wood to fit. I have a Makita and have a few wood blades for it. Not really much lighter than my 6 1/2” Makita brushless saw. Does work fine.

Milwaukee M-12 Fuel 5 1/2", knowing you most likely will need at least a 3-Amp Hour battery. I would get the 6 Amp Hour battery. Blades are limited, but I have a 5 1/2 inch C-Man and use a Matsushita MS51236CB 5-1/2" 36T Kerf: 1/16" Arbor: 5/8" that does a good job. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Yes the smaller saws are normally sold as metal cutting saws but you can get blades for wood to fit.
    The one thing to note about the metal saws is they have a slower arbor speed. That along with the smaller blade will result in slower cuts, which may or may not be an issue for an individual.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks Van for mentioning that. Yea I sure don’t get as nice a cut especially on plywood with the smaller saw. Mine primarily gets used if I need to reduce size of something from home center / lumber yard. That or I use my battery jigsaw. No way would it be a primary saw for me.

Back in the day Norm used a little Porter Cable saw in most episodes. Have not seen one of those saws in years.

I have a Milwaukee M18 cordless in 5 1/4" and it's a trooper. Use it constantly to cut sheet goods. My second one, and I've not tested anything better.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    Milwaukee M-12 Fuel 5 1/2", knowing you most likely will need at least a 3-Amp Hour battery. I would get the 6 Amp Hour battery. Blades are limited, but I have a 5 1/2 inch C-Man and use a Matsushita MS51236CB 5-1/2" 36T Kerf: 1/16" Arbor: 5/8" that does a good job. Dan

I have this saw and I’m not real impressed by it. It bogs down in a 2x cut. I got it for when I want a lightweight saw and so I could cut plywood with a thin kerf. It works well for 9mm ply with a Freud blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Thanks Van for mentioning that. Yea I sure don’t get as nice a cut especially on plywood with the smaller saw. Mine primarily gets used if I need to reduce size of something from home center / lumber yard. That or I use my battery jigsaw. No way would it be a primary saw for me.

Back in the day Norm used a little Porter Cable saw in most episodes. Have not seen one of those saws in years.
    Yup, P-C 314 trim saw. Handy little bugger, there are a number on Ebay. I don't know of a current production equivalent, at least not corded. The base is quite a bit longer than it is wide and I find it easier to push straight.