Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sawstop

sawstop

Looking at Sawstop professional table saw. Any advantage to buying thru Grizzly or Rockler or other retailer or is price the same? Do they run "specials" at a specific time of the year, and is it worth waiting for?

From experience and research, the price of a SawStop is fixed across all retailers. In my knowledge, they never have sales but they do have a promotion for a free mobile base or over table dust collection option at least once a year. Generally in the Spring.

The prices seem set by SawStop no matter where you buy them. I've not seen SawStop have sake specials on the actual price of the saw, but they do have specials where they throw in an accessory, such as the mobile base or the over the table dust collection (got that with mine, but never use it).

The mobile base, the professional one, is excellent. At my old house, issued to have to put my saw against a wall to allow the wife to put her car in the garage, so I'd wheel it in and out every day, so easy with that base.

I bought mine from Acme Tools to avoid sales tax. Not sure how much longer that break will be available, but pretty sure it's still available through them (unless you live in N. Dakota, which most people don't )

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I bought mine from Acme Tools to avoid sales tax. Not sure how much longer that break will be available, but pretty sure it's still available through them (unless you live in N. Dakota, which most people don't )
    Done likewise on several large tool purchases from ACME, no tax, free shipping.

The SawStop has excellent packaging and very precise instructions.

I just checked the acme site. It says free shipping but they are charging a $250 handling fee.

If I were going to buy another I would look at all the ones in the local showrooms. While you won't get a discount on the saw you might be able to get them to drop prices on other stuff you want at the same time. Dado blades, router, plate joiner, dust collector, jointer, etc. Getting it locally means that store will be open when you do need stuff in the future and should you have any issues with the saw it is easier to get them resolved with a face to face over a company half way across the continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Baginski View Post
    I just checked the acme site. It says free shipping but they are charging a $250 handling fee.
    Depending on where you are located, that handling fee sounds more like shipping fee plus to me.

Simon

Zero. The best deal youll find out there is waiting for an eBay 8-15% off coupon (just had a 10% off yesterday) or an 8-10% eBay Bucks deal and buying through an authorized reseller on eBay like AcmeTools. Thats what I did and it can save you hundreds. Even better if you wait for the one month a year when SawStop gives the free mobile base or overarm dust collector with a purchase. That combo is the best deal you will find anywhere aside from used/private.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The cheapest way to buy a SawStop is to pick it up from stock on hand at a local retailer (my local Rockler sold me mine for $2469 + tax without any handling fee) unless your sales tax on the saw is going to be > $250... The reason behind this is that places that have "Free Shipping" pack the $250 delivery fee into the price of the saw...

For example: The 1.75HP PCS (PCS175-TGP236)

Amazon - $2719
    ACME - $2469.00 + $250 Shipping = $2719
    Highland Woodworking - $2469.00 + $250 Shipping = $2719
    Rockler - $2469.00 + $250 Shipping = $2719
    Woodcraft - $2469.00 + $250 Shipping = $2719

Both my local WoodCraft and Rockler sell the saw in the the showroom for $2469 + Tax but eat the shipping for stock on hand...
    My local Rockler normally stocks the 1.75HP and 3HP cabinets at all times and the fence/rails are al la carte...

Sawstops Annual "Sale" is in April every year; either a free PCS Mobile Base or the Over-Arm Dust collection Arm both of which are redeemed by mail and arrive in about two weeks. Note however that there is no free lunch... The 1.75HP saws come with the cheapo blade guard and the Over-Arm requires the Dust Collection Blade Guard (which either comes with the 3HP+ models or can be purchased for $139 for the 1.75HP models) and the PCS Mobile base basically has to be installed when assembling the saw or else you have to tip the saw to install it, *everyone* I have talked to recommends the ICS mobile base instead (I have one and I really think it's absolutely worth the money, moving the saw around my small shop is effortless...) I opted for the Over-Arm and purchased the dust collection blade guard, personally was disappointed initially but others seem happy with it...

Definitely consider the following:

The 1.75HP saw does fine for me ripping 8/4 Hard Maple with a thin kerf ripping blade and chews through everything I have thrown at it with a 40T combo blade without even the slightest hint of bogging down, however you CAN upgrade the motor/power switch on the 120V 1.75HP saw to the 3HP 220v motor/power switch for ~$500 (I can't remember the pricing exactly) don't get me wrong, its definitely cheaper to get the 3HP up front but if you don't want to spend the money, or dont have 220v in the shop yet you aren't stuck with the smaller motor forever like with most tools...

Get the T-Glide Fence, don't even consider the default 30" fence it's just not in the same league as the T-Glide and while you can absolutely upgrade the fence later its *really* expensive. Get the longest rails that will fit in your shop, if you have room for the 50" rails go for it. I'm happy in my two car garage with the 36" fence

Factor in that you may need different accessories too...

You can't use many of the dado stacks out there (If your dado stack has the anti-kickback pawls or full plate chippers SawStop does not recommend using it with the saw) I ended up just giving away my Freud SD508 Stack because I couldn't use it with the saw and purchased the DeWalt dado stack instead (which is working fine, just not as beefy as the 508)... You may also want to consider extra brake cartridges (dado stacks require a different sized cartridge anyways) I didn't find out about this until after I had purchased the saw...

Finally DIY zero clearance inserts for the SawStop are not as simple as most other saws and requires some fairly intricate routing on the bottom side to get it to fit. Sawstop gets $40/pop for them...

All that said, I LOVE MY SAW and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to a friend.

Good Luck!

1 - I will buy from a source with a local physical presence where possible AND with a good track record in terms of customer service, especially when things go wrong. But customer service goes first, physical presence second (and that is why a lot of people buy things on Amazon).

2 - If you have a saw to use in the interim, you should wait for the promotion (which runs twice a year(?)) to save a couple hundred dollars (I think) on the dust collection upgrade or mobile base (promotion available to PCS (ICS, too?)).

3 - Either get the 240V - 1.75 HP or 3 HP, if possible.

4 - Add the B-type fence, dust collection upgrade and hydraulic mobile base (if you need mobility) to the PCS or ICS (hydraulic base included), and you will have yourself a dream cabinet saw for hobbyists.

The upgrades suggested here are worth every cent of it, based on my close to 15 years use of the SawStop.

Simon

Wow, do you work as a part-time SawStop Sales Consultant? (joke - ).

Your analysis is spot on.

Simon

Thank you all for the advice!

Hear! Hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    If I were going to buy another I would look at all the ones in the local showrooms. While you won't get a discount on the saw you might be able to get them to drop prices on other stuff you want at the same time. Dado blades, router, plate joiner, dust collector, jointer, etc. Getting it locally means that store will be open when you do need stuff in the future and should you have any issues with the saw it is easier to get them resolved with a face to face over a company half way across the continent.
    Well Said.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley may still have their gift cards on sale. That you could then use towards the saw. I just got a $1000 one for $850.