Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Veritas' next tool

In think they have a bevel up equivalent of a #3. It's called the small smoothing plane.
    I have a 3 already, with the Veritas blade
    What a sweet unit! I'm not sure if a Norris adjuster would be better, but I agree, even if I never got one, it'd be a sure fire addition.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Cool ducks and splines, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Cool ducks and splines, please!
    Ducks and splines are typically diy projects for Naval Architects, loftmen, and boat builders. Usage has become rare and these do no represent viable commercial products for a tool company. The are available in specialty (precious) boat building suppliers like Wooden Boat and Duckworks and the like.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Ducks and splines are typically diy projects for Naval Architects, loftmen, and boat builders. Usage has become rare and these do no represent viable commercial products for a tool company. The are available in specialty (precious) boat building suppliers like Wooden Boat and Duckworks and the like.
    True- supply and demand might not support it. I thought maybe with hand tool work being popular, maybe old school drafting implements would sell.

Hi Malcolm!

Number three size is headed for pre-production, and there are two bevel designs waiting to get slotted into production. In all, we are sitting on more than a dozen products that are ready to go at this time, with dozens more waiting in the wings.

As I have noted in other threads, we are at capacity right now, and are just finishing major changes to our processes and structure to allow us to get completely caught up. There is light at the end of the tunnel - new machines (faster, and more efficient) are being installed now, with more planned as we bring capacity on line.

However - keep the suggestions coming...our designers are not maxed out!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    True- supply and demand might not support it. I thought maybe with hand tool work being popular, maybe old school drafting implements would sell.
    Hand drafting is not extinct, quite, but is nearly so. CAD drafting with B-Splines has pretty universally displaced ducks and splines, virtually eliminated the need for lofting and greatly altered the use of (full size) splines for building in commercial production. These old systems survive in amateur work and in historic preservation circles with a very few die hard (struggling) small builders doing traditional building. Even in amateur circles laminated construction (strip planking and/or cold molding) techniques have displaced traditional carvel construction and (epoxy) glued plywood lapstrake construction has overtaken traditional riveted and framed lapstrake building techniques.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Malcolm!

In all, we are sitting on more than a dozen products that are ready to go at this time, with dozens more waiting in the wings.

Cheers -

Rob
    That's scary!

Simon

Great news about the #3 production Rob! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Malcolm!

Number three size is headed for pre-production, and there are two bevel designs waiting to get slotted into production. In all, we are sitting on more than a dozen products that are ready to go at this time, with dozens more waiting in the wings.

As I have noted in other threads, we are at capacity right now, and are just finishing major changes to our processes and structure to allow us to get completely caught up. There is light at the end of the tunnel - new machines (faster, and more efficient) are being installed now, with more planned as we bring capacity on line.

However - keep the suggestions coming...our designers are not maxed out!

Cheers -

Rob
    Thanks for the reply. This was more me dreaming than anything else.

Nothing major, but 1/4" hex bits in the proper width (slotted) or size (phillips #3) would be great, especially the longer lengths. A screwdriver handle with a through tang (so it can be hit) and/or a place for a wrench would be good too.

I'd be really interested in a Veritas miter saw. I think there is a lot of room for a modern miter box with good work holding that is prettier and more substantial than the Nobex. Would complete the whole shooting plane/board sequence.

Is Derek still getting pre-production evaluation items? Can anyone "encourage" him to give us a hint?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Would complete the whole shooting plane/board sequence.
    This is true, and I've had the same thought myself. It sets my spidey sense tingling... It would seem to be quite a logical progression.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    That's scary!

Simon
    Many wallets are a shivering tonight.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

15. I've always been a bit surprised of the lack of chairmakers tools, compass plane, scorp, travisher, sliding bevel etc.

But excited to hear the more is on the way!