Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Grindstone Project

Blog Entries
    Got back to this project yesterday and today. A water shield, water can support and a brush were added. The watering system is supported by two pieces rising from the wheel mount:

Side Mounts For Water System.jpg

The platform for the can was made by first using a 2-1/4" hole saw bit to drill about 1/4" into the surface. Then an old expansive bit or maybe it is a gasket cutter was used to make a well for a can:

Old Style Expansive Bit.jpg

After the outside depth was reached, a small shallow gouge was used to clean out the waste between the outside and inside diameters. Once this was to my liking, the hole saw was used to cut through the piece:

Can Holder.jpg

The end with the large knot was cut off. The other end was rounded. A notch was cut out to hold a cheap paint brush in hopes that it might keep less water from the operator:

Sawing Brush Mount.jpg

The wheel is now operational:

Ultra-Slow Speed Grind Wheel.jpg

My first test was an old plane blade with a large chip in the edge. It actually didn't take too long to work the nick out of the blade. The water flow is a bit on the fast side. That has to be adjusted somehow.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good job Jim. It will be good to hear how you get along with it in use. I'm a bit surprised that there are not many of those heard about for woodworkers. Lots about hand crank grinders but not so much those big guys. They were an essential piece of equipment for every farm or shop until electrons came into the picture.
    Jim

Looks great Jim. Thanks for sharing. I’m curious about the water management part. Seems a lot of water is going onto the wood and maybe even you? Do you think it will hold up over time?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Looks great Jim. Thanks for sharing. I’m curious about the water management part. Seems a lot of water is going onto the wood and maybe even you? Do you think it will hold up over time?
    That is still being worked out. Mike Lemon mentioned using a planter under the wheel to catch some of the water. My concern now is to constrict the water flow since even with a very small drill (#55 if my memory is working) the water comes out too fast.

The small structure at the front of the wheel keeps most of the water off of me.

This design is subject to changes and maybe painting to resist water damage.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim you might try putting one of the old style car radiator petcock drains in the bottom of your can. That makes it adjustable.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Jim you might try putting one of the old style car radiator petcock drains in the bottom of your can. That makes it adjustable.
    Jim
    Thanks for the idea Jim. One of my thoughts was to use one of my adjustable drip irrigation emitters. It is kind of like a radiator petcock drain.

My first next attempt is to try to use a sharp awl to make a small hole that can be closed up by pushing the metal back in place, nothing too fancy or that needs to be hunted down.

jtk

A tray underneath that has a water level above the bottom of the wheel instead of a drip can will wet the wheel and rinse it, but it must be removed or lowered when not in use. Many of these old wheels have been destroyed by being wet on one side when idle, especially in freezing weather.