Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best lathe for budget of 6500

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    It may be completely different in Canada but here is the tale of one direct from China buyer of a woodworking machine:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ighlight=china

In the US we currently have a 25% tariff on woodworking machines. There are a lot of people that buy laser engravers direct so there is likely a lot of info in that sub-forum. For me personally, the process seemed far too involved and expensive compared to the money saved.

Thanks. I'll check the sub-forum out. I read the thread about the saw. I have bought lights and a VFD through Alibaba and it was painless and easy. Alibaba has a protection plan much like Amazon has. I'm looking into getting a tractor/accessories the same way and once I know what is entailed I'll decide if I'll pop for it. Maybe I could get a lathe tossed into the same container.

I'm familiar with your tariff and actually was affected by it when I bought a 5C collet locally that is probably headquartered in the US. There was a sticker on it that said that Tarriff xxxxxxxx was applied. That tariff shouldn't apply to us but since it went through your world it cost 25% more than it did a year ago.

Hello all, thanks for the help on this. I placed an order for a 3520c with swingaway tailstock, bowl rest, lift, rock, and roll base and a holdfast vacuum system. Also ordered a Vicmsrc 120 chuck and will be ordering a one way Talin soon. I had the opportunity to turn on An American Beauty, A sweet 16, and a 3520c last week, and I liked the 3520c the most. I love the American beauty but didn’t like the on/off switch configuration as there were many times I meant to push the stop button and would reverse the lathe instead of stopping. Both the American Beauty were so quiet I couldn’t tell they were on. Can’t wait for it to get here!
    Ordering some turning tools and a one way sharpening jig along with some 8 inch sharpening wheels this week .