Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best lathe for budget of 6500

G0766 is all anybody needs.3 horsepower beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Seams like your replies are based on two different ideas. Is your budget just for the lathe or will it have to include the tools. Since you are in a woodworking shop I'm assuming that you already have a dust collection system, a band saw, and probably a way to sharpen tools. I would still plan on investing up to $1500 into the chuck/ tools needed. If your making bowls for selling then a coring system could also be something you'll want to look into. I don't mind 80% of my blank being turned into shavings but if I was paying for the wood I'm sure I would feel differently. So the question really is if you do spend $6500 for a top of the line lathe can you still spend the extra money?

My personal opinion is that a $4000 price range lathe is going to give you what you want. If you were planning on using this lathe on a daily basis or if it was going to be a personal lather then I would spend the extra money. From what I have learned almost any lathe in that price range is going to be a very good. So it comes down to features. I have a lower end Grizzly. If I was to upgrade to a $5000 lathe both the Laguna 24/36 and Grizzly G800 would be at the top of my list. I just like the Laguna lathes and the G800 has an optional bed extension that can be mounted in line with the bed to extend the length if needed, it can be mounted lower than the bed to do outboard turning of large blanks, and it can be mounted perpendicular to the bed so you can move the banjo to the side and out of the way of the tailstock.
    Hi Alex , I should clarify that 6500 is the most I would want to spend outright on the lathe not including tools. I can use another 2000 or so on the remaining tools/ accessories and would definitely like a coring setup. We have dust collection in place but would still like some type of customized setup. We also have a few tools but can definitely use more. A few people have mentioned the Grizzly g0800 and it is very tempting. It definitely looks like I could get 30-40 years out of it.... I hope.
    I took a look at the laguna and not sure which one would be the best option between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    What features are most important to you?

Mass?
    HP?
    Swing?
    Tilting/swinging tailstock?
    Outboard capability?
    Stainless steel?
    Tools?
    Accessories?
    Lungs?

There is no right answer here, but you may find that the right lathe for your budget is getting a great (not best) lathe and then paying for additional features that make the experience better. As an example, while I love my lathe, I LOVE having a few extra chucks and jaws and having splurged for fantastic tools and dust collection. These latter things really make the experience enjoyable and efficient. This investment was easily an additional $1000-$1500.
    Great point about having all of the extras. I would rather have every type of chuck or specialty tool along with a decent lathe. As far as options go, I like the tilting/ swinging headstock and the ability to do some outboard work. Would also love a mobile base for cleaning the shop when needed.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramey View Post
    A few people have mentioned the Grizzly g0800 and it is very tempting. It definitely looks like I could get 30-40 years out of it.... I hope.
    I took a look at the laguna and not sure which one would be the best option between the two.
    You should look at the thread about the Laguna Revo 24/36 spindle getting warm. While that issue was resolved for the owner, there is a post on the differences between the Revo 24/36 and the Grizzly G0800. Basically it comes down to heavier build on the Grizzly 0800 vs. the pendant feature on the Revo, and of course more advanced inverter on the 0800. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ing-quite-warm
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramey View Post
    Great point about having all of the extras. I would rather have every type of chuck or specialty tool along with a decent lathe. As far as options go, I like the tilting/ swinging headstock and the ability to do some outboard work. Would also love a mobile base for cleaning the shop when needed.
    As often the case, when you ask what is the "best" the responses are usually the lathe the writer has. That is telling in itself - all of these lathes will do the job! All of them will have good power, variable speed, reverse, heavy duty components, enough weight to be stable. There are many feature differences but those will require research to see if they might be valuable to your individual situation. I think you will be very happy with a Powermatic, Robust, Oneway, Laguna, and probably a Grizzly.

It's a rare person has enough long-term experience with more than one high end lathe to provide informed comparisons! Rarer still is if the same person has the same interests as you.

My own experience and some of my feelings about features: My first "real" lathe was a Jet 1642 - excellent for spindles, long spindles, boxes, vessels, and bowls/platters up to 15" inches without going outboard and overboard. I ended up with two of those plus a PM3520b with bed extension which I use the most now - things like the tailstock and banjo feel much healthier to me. I have zero interest in joining the crowded bigger bowl club - I'm more interested in smaller, detailed things that take finesse and fine tool control - the swing limit of 20" is enough for me but using the bed extension for the tool rest the outboard capability is ridiculously large if I someday lost my mind completely some day.

lathe_PM2_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg

About features: A swing-away tailstock is nice, but if not used often the arm muscles work and the money can go towards more chucks. It is not possible to have too many chucks. Lathes with a lot of horsepower can help with powering through large blanks, especially if the turner lacks finesse with the tools but can make things even more exciting during a disaster. Turning outboard can be more comfortable for standing and peering but you give up the safety and security of the tailstock. Swinging headstocks may need extra care to realign. If hollowing with a rig they typically need to be unswung. (is that a word?) The positionable controls on the Oneway is nice but an inexpensive remote cutoff switch on my PM provides the important emergency off switch with my leg. And as mentioned, pending less on a perfectly suitable lathe will leave more for other things. You can easily spend 10 or 15K extra on tools, chucks, jigs, and most important - don't forget wood! A nice chunk of Olivewood might run $100. I saw a small Cocobolo log offered for $600. Even if you stick to turning free green wood, consider chainsaws, truck/trailer, hoist, sawmill, tractor, ack...!

Much boils down to kinds of turning you want to do now (and what might turn in the future that you can't guess yet!) I think all of the large lathes discussed are incredible for starters and capable of turning almost anything later, large or small. Some of my decision own decision might be influenced by what dealers are closer.

JKJ

6. Perspective is a good thing, especially when as JKJ puts it long term experience with the main players. To date eleven 3520b’s I’ve turned on, and muptiple times on several of those. Turning sessions on both the Robust AB, Serious SL2542, and numerous Jet 1642 evs units. Other models also under my belt, both midi’s and full size.

With that experience to inform me, I still chose the G0800. Was actually saving for the AB from Robust [fine machine indeed], but the build, features and my great experiences on two other Grizzly models I own, or have owned left me with the knowledge that I would not regret my decision on the G0800. It really is a premium, high grade, heavy duty lathe. As mentioned......in the class with the PM 4224b, with some ergonomic design the PM does not have.

As mentioned by JKJ and others, there is a plethora of lathes available. You need to decide what you want in a machine related to capacity [both swing and distance between centers] build [how robust are the components], features that are a must for your needs going forward. Good luck shopping!

Thanks! That’s an impressive list

Hi John, thanks for the invite input. The Powermatic photo makes me want to go out and buy one right now, beautiful space as well!

Hi Roger, I think you’ve nearly sold me on the G8000, it does look like a solid piece of machinery. I’ve been going back and forth all day between the Grizzly site and the Powermatic site and drooling over each. The electricians are coming in Tuesday and they want me to show them what machine goes in each area so I’m hoping to have made the decision by Monday night. Right now we have a Delta 16/42 that I have made work pretty well but I cannot wait to replace. Now if I could only find an all in one chuck kit so I don’t have to search all over, that would be great. I was looking at the Grizzly offerings but not sure of the quality. We have a Nova g3 on the Delta but I’m wanting something larger.... more decisions to make.

All of the machines mentioned so far will most likely get the job done but what is their comparative build quality? In other words, we can't compare a lathe from Harbor Freight with a Robust or Vicmarc even though all might turn out the same work.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 12-09-2018 at 9:56 PM.

Since I had never used a lathe before I didn't want to go crazy. I placed my order with Grizzly for my G0766 before the tariff prices kicked in when another member here posted a discount code. I knew I wanted large enough to not grow out of it. It's not a perfect lathe but has done everything I have wanted. It's made in China. Before I made my decision I was looking at the Laguna 18-36 and the Grizzly G0800 if I wanted a larger swing. I think I had too much time on my hands as I was looking into the construction of each lathe. What I liked with the G0800 was that it had 3 very large bearings (bigger than the powermatic uses) on the head. Bigger than the Laguna uses. Granted the G0800 has a bigger swing than the powermatic so there's a chance that it could have a larger blank on it. Most likely though it's overkill and even the smaller bearings should last for years.

When it came to a chuck I went with a Vicmarc VM120. I can't offer an opinion about any other brands. I wouldn't go any larger unless you plan on turning really big heavy pieces. But like any high end tool you spend more so if your plan is to have multiple chucks the extra cost will add up. Once you pick a brand you're going to be kind of locked in as you get a selection of jaws for it.
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 12-09-2018 at 8:43 PM.

12. Alex, I also have a G0766 in my shop. It has done everything I’ve wanted, and I use it often, and after 3 years, absolutly no problems. I think I was one of the first two or three to get that lathe. With the G0800, I have an even higher grade machine, with even more advanced features. Jason, our original poster would do well with a Powermatic, Laguna or Grizzly, or Robust, Oneway, etc. From what I read on the AAW forum, here and elsewhere, the 3520c model is feature packed, but not as stout a machine as the 3520b model was......that might be individual opinions, but I have read of some that sold the 3520c and got something else, because it was not the build they wanted.

Please know that I am not trying to sell Jason or anyone else on a Grizzly lathe.....my honest feeling is that anyone who wants a serious turning machine that is surprisingly well machined and featured, owe it to themselves to take a look. The G0800 might not be what some want, upon close inspection, so they should look carefully. But I also know that in taking a close look, they might just find more than they ever thought was there for the price! Again, happy shopping Jason!

If you purchase a Grizzly G0766 lathe just be prepared to be a mechanic in between turning time. There is a good chance you will get to be the mechanic on the lathe before the woodturner even when purchasing new. While this is a decent lathe for the money it is also flawed, some things can be fixed by the consumer and some cannot. One of the ergonomic things that cannot be fixed is the lathe is to tall with a shallow footprint and that makes it unstable with large wood. Read the threads on the Grizzly owners page. I purchased one a few years ago, was largely influenced by Roger's comments and budget, I sold it after about a year and replaced it with a much better lathe for little more money. Just do your research on the Grizzly, if you don't mind being a mechanic you might like it.

One of my students bought a Grizzly and after two weeks told me that now he understands why they are cheaper as the owner you are also the mechanic that has to do all the work to get the lathe to work properly. I personally have three Grizzly products a table saw, band saw and metal lathe and can agree with my student that you better be prepared to fix problems that these machines have. That is why all my wood lathes had a five year warranty, if they warrant them for five years you can pretty much guess they are making a good product. After 10 to 15 years these wood lathes are all running great and have had no problems.

15. Since my G0766 was one of the first, myself and a couple of others helped get the “kinks” out of that new model. Not really kinks, but small things like the banjo hole being 25mm diameter, and standard posts on the aftermarket toolrests are generally 1” diameter. Same with the spindle boss, using metric dimensions, some chucks did not seat all the way back to the spindle shoulder. Both were extremely easy to adjust, with a 1” drill bit to enlarge that hole by .004 “ and a file to take off a little of that spindle boss with the lathe running. Of course because the lathe was also sold in Europe, the metric standards were used, but now Grizzly has taken care of all that for the American market.

They shortened the legs 2 “, but my original were fine for me. I’m 5’ 11” tall. It was only an issue for shorter turners. All the Grizzly chucks fit from the factory, so it might have been a thing to increase sales of their line of chucks. As far as mechanics, electronics, etc. they have all that buttoned up nicely from what I have seen reported. They also made the larger banjo for the 0766 and sent the new one to all owners at no charge. I’ve turned a lot of wood on my G0766, and I’ve had great service from it as well. I’ve cored on it also...plenty of power and torque. Basically, almost the same design as the smaller Jet 1642 as far as stance.

Now, the G0800 is a higher grade machine, perfect from the factory when I got mine. No adjustments needed!