This is to be an educational question rather than a debate so please try to keep it on topic.

It seems like there are three camps related to how bandsaw wheels should be positioned with respect to one another. In all cases the top wheel has tilt adjustment so we can ignore that feature with respect to this discussion.

What I see are three possibilities, in no particular order:

1. It doesn’t matter if the wheels are coplaner or not
  2. Wheels should be offset by some amount, definitely NOT coplaner
  3. Wheels should be set coplaner

So what do your manuals/other sources say?

Please cite specific sources. Manuals, publications, theses or whatever.

In other threads many opinions have been expressed. Hopefully this thread may list sources that back up those opinions. We all have our opinions. Let’s try not to post them here and rather defer to published directives or scientific studies, if such animals exist. Of course, a summary of what the reference says is welcomed!

Perhaps this will be the rare one post thread! Hope not!

For a start, here are a couple references that support the coplaner relationship.

In a different thread Tom M King referenced the following instructions which call for coplaner wheels

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...llAssembly.pdf

John TenEyck in another thread pointed out that in “the owner's manual for my G0636X 17" bandsaw. There is a whole section about "Wheel Alignment" which starts out "Wheel alignment is one of the most critical factors for optimal performance from your bandsaw. Heat, vibration, wandering, blade wear, tire wear and overall bandsaw wear are considerably decreased when the wheels are properly aligned, or "coplaner".

https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0636x_m.pdf

I don’t recall seeing any references supporting the other two possibilities but with age my memory may be growing shorter...

There is no doubt in my mind that a bandsaw can be made to perform satisfactorily without the wheels being coplaner. But that is not the question here.

Above are two references that indicate coplaner position of the wheels is desirable.

Can anyone provide references that support the other possible wheel relationships listed above?

Remember...not opinions...but rather published references such as manufacture’s manuals or other documented sources.

Just trying to solidify what I have come to believe, and think this subject could be of interest to others now and in the future.

You know what you believe. Can you post a reference that supports it?

Bill