Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estate sale pickup - Stanley low-angle block plane

Estate sale pickup - Stanley low-angle block plane

I picked up this Stanley low-angle block plane at an estate sale on Thu. Apparently there were some joiner planes there before I arrived but they were long gone. People we grabbing the overpriced plastic handled Stanley planes. I saw this little jewel with a $10 price tag and immediately grabbed it. It will be a user for me but I'd like to know it's history and how original it might or might not be. I posted it on another garage related website and someone mentioned the "excelsior" body with the hump towards the rear of the plane and a patent date of 1897 on the lever cap as clues to this definitely being "worth $10". It's clearly been cleaned up as I can see pitting from rust corrosion on the adjustment lever has been cleaned up. It has an adjustable mouth. The plane bottom measure 7" in length and 1-7/8" wide. I suspect the plane body and lever cap have been repainted or re-japanned (is that a word?) just because they both look so good. The plane blade is old but how old I don't know. From looking at Patrick's Blood & Gore site on Stanley planes I'm thinking this might be a #15 block plane. I have read that the excelsior body was last used by Stanley in 1898. So I'm guessing this could be older than I thought. I'm curious as to what model it is, when it was made and if the parts are original. Maybe a #15? Thoughts on any of this would be appreciated. If I can provide additional pics I'll be glad to do that.

Thanks!
    Mike

IMG_7646.jpg IMG_7648.jpg IMG_7649.jpg IMG_7651.jpg

IMG_7653.jpg IMG_7654.jpg

Stanley 9-1/2. type 2....with the wrong lever cap.....lever should be under the cap, and sticking out the back of the planes..
    IMAG0058.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0060.jpgIMAG0061.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Stanley 9-1/2. type 2....with the wrong lever cap.....lever should be under the cap, and sticking out the back of the planes..
    IMAG0058.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0060.jpgIMAG0061.jpg
    Steven,
    Per Patrick's Blood & Gore site, the Stanley 9-1/2 should have a different footprint at 6" in length. This plane is 7" long. Is the website wrong?
    Mike

Nice acquisition. I agree that it is a #15 and looks like a Type 10, 1894-1897. The blade has the correct logo for that time frame. But it is a standard angle block plane, not low angle. It is bedded at 20 degrees; low angle would be 12 degrees. Nice one!

Looks like a 100% correct late type 9 early type 10 15 to me assuming it's 7" long. I don't think that lever cap has been repainted. It's definitely worth $10. That blade is consistent with that type in addition to that style lever cap. The type 10 had the eccentric adjustment lever on the throat of the plane which yours doesn't. Yours does have a Type 10 lever cap which is correct. So, your plane was likely made exactly in 1894.

My source is the Stanley Bible, John Walther's "Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools". Bought my copy off John back in the day when he was active in collecting tools. It's a shame he doesn't publish a new volume. There are many that could benefit from such a book. 885 pages containing every single tool Stanley ever made.
    Last edited by Pete Taran; 12-07-2018 at 7:52 PM.

IMAG0059.jpg
    Take your pick...all three are Stanley No. 9-1/2 planes..
    IMAG0058.jpg
    IMG_3981 (640x480).jpg
    Still a 9-1/2 type 2 Knuckle cap....
    IMG_3984 (640x480).jpg
    Shall I go and measure them, for you?

Actually, I just did...6" long...base is 1-7/8" wide But..what do I know....I use a 60-1/2 instead....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-07-2018 at 8:32 PM. Reason: Measurements

Actually, I just did...6" long...base is 1-7/8" wide But..what do I know....I use a 60-1/2 instead....
    Steven,
    I appreciate the feedback. Mine is the same in width 1-7/8" but definitely an inch longer at 7". I'm not surprised they seem identical in many respects. Often there were only minor tweaks between models as we can see here. All of your look like great planes in my eyes!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Looks like a 100% correct late type 9 early type 10 15 to me assuming it's 7" long. I don't think that lever cap has been repainted. It's definitely worth $10. That blade is consistent with that type in addition to that style lever cap. The type 10 had the eccentric adjustment lever on the throat of the plane which yours doesn't. Yours does have a Type 10 lever cap which is correct. So, your plane was likely made exactly in 1894.

My source is the Stanley Bible, John Walther's "Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools". Bought my copy off John back in the day when he was active in collecting tools. It's a shame he doesn't publish a new volume. There are many that could benefit from such a book. 885 pages containing every single tool Stanley ever made.
    Pete,
    You've given me a good sense of the plane and it sounds like you also believe it to be a #15 given that it IS indeed 7" long. The lever cap has a patent date of 1897 on it so I'm doubtful about having been "made exactly in 1894". Maybe you meant 1897. Thoughts on that?

Either way that's super cool. To still be able to get good use out of a 120-year old block plane is just great stuff.

The Stanley Bible sounds like a very interesting resource book. I'll see what I can find regarding these early type 15 block planes. Sure would be great if the Stanley Bible was available as a searchable online resource! :-)

Thanks!
    Mike

Blog Entries
    The only people who might be unhappy if he were to run a new edition are the folks who bought his book at current prices. My thought on at least one reason why a new volume hasn't been published is more tools might have to be added in a new version. A few common tools of mine purchased at estate sales were not in the last edition. Stanley bought many smaller tool makers and sometimes continued their product lines.

Either way that's super cool. To still be able to get good use out of a 120-year old block plane is just great stuff.
    Definitely a good deal for $10.

The Stanley Bible sounds like a very interesting resource book. I'll see what I can find regarding these early type 15 block planes. Sure would be great if the Stanley Bible was available as a searchable online resource! :-)
    It is a very good source of information on Stanley tools. Search ebay with the terms > Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools guide < Be prepared to be shocked at the price.

My eyes are attuned to the image of the spine of this book. Whenever time is being spent in a Goodwill or other stores with racks of used books one of my searches is for this spine standing out among the other books.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mike,

For those among us seemingly not able to believe simple facts in black and white, I offer the following from John Walther's excellent book, pages 371-372. Note the next to the last sentence in the attached picture. Also, I didn't see the patent date on the lever cap, so that does move it a little in the date range by three years, but, it's still a cross over type as the Type 9 had no throat adjustment lever at all, like yours does, and the type 10 had the Turnbull patent lever cap like yours does. The main feature of the Type 9 was the lateral adjustment lever with the circular disk riveted to it, the main feature of the type 10 was the throat adjustment lever which yours does not have.

It is not uncommon for Stanley to use parts on hand as they needed as they didn't realize people would be classifying planes as to type 120 years later.

As to John's book, I doubt that there will ever be another version published, at least by him. I know him personally, and in fact the edition I have is signed (wonder if that makes it worth more). I have not seen him at a tool meet for years, but the last time I saw him he expressed that he did everything he wanted to do on Stanley collecting, was selling his collection and was turning the page to other interests. Others have tried to convince him to reprint his book as is, but he has no interest. He is a legend in the Tool Collecting community, much in the same way Roger Smith is. The book is a gem, and one anyone interested in old tools should always be on the look out for. Unless of course you already know it all, as some here do, in which case we will all stay tuned for the impending release of their 900+ page definitive guide on collecting Stanley tools.

IMG_3549.jpgIMG_3548.jpg

Pete, I assume the average pricing is current market prices and not 19th century prices.

IMG_3981 (640x480).jpg

Steven, to assist you and for future reference, the 9 1/2 was never made with a knuckle joint. The plane that did have a knuckle joint lever cap was called the #18, a completely different model. Further, since yours has an eccentric throat adjustment, it's a type 3, not a type 2. See the attached for more information.

18.jpg18, type 3.jpgstanley cat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Patric View Post
    Pete, I assume the average pricing is current market prices and not 19th century prices.
    John, Those are circa 1996 price estimates of market value, one of the many virtues of the guide.

Well, look at this:

NEWS! June, 2018 update: just a few more weeks away from completion, send a SASE to receive info soon (if you haven't sent already)
    The newly revised "Antique & Collectible STANLEY TOOLS Guide to Identity and Value" BOOK Third edition 2018, long awaited and worth waiting for is coming very soon!
    You'll find new a Type Study, all new price updates. Plus lots of new listings and new material added for existing items. Plenty of new and rare advertising items that will excite more than the playmate of the month. I've enlisted the talents of the nations leading experts to ensure accuracy that you can count on. You'll just love the expanded history chapter too, with dozens of new illustrations. Plus much much more... (USPS botched my change of address for the last 6 month's of 2015, see new address now listed, please re-send, sorry)
    To get ordering info and get your name on my mailing list for advanced sales--send a SASE (self adressed stamped envelope) and you'll be among those to get the opportunity to get a limited signed autographed, numbered first edition. Mail to John Walter - 151 Hawk Ave. - Akron, Oh. 44312.

If you visit his website at: http://stanleytoolsbook.com/ you can read more about it. Apparently he has had a change of heart since I last saw him 5 or so years ago. Also looks like he now lives in Akron, will have to stop by. I'd suggest anyone wanting a copy to drop him a SASE as he directs. You don't want to miss out on this newest offering. Very exciting news indeed!

IMG_7011 (640x480).jpgIMG_7011 (640x480).jpgIMG_7012 (640x480).jpg
    YMMV....( skinny plane is a Stanley 60-1/2)