Thread: Laguna jointer and planer and Powermatic drill press question

Laguna jointer and planer and Powermatic drill press question

Hey folks~
    I have the opportunity to buy some machines from a guy who barely used them. Laguna 8" parallel jointer with the tersa knives, vintage 2011. Laguna planer 16" with the helical head. same vintage.
    Also he has a Powermatic drill press 90th anniversary addition.

Is there anyone or several people who would have a strong disagreement and can provide reasons why not to buy one of these? prices are:
    Laguna jointer $2500
    Laguna planer $2500
    Powermatic drill press $1200

I'd really like to know any pros and cons with any of these tools before forking out some dough! I'm totally appreciative of the comments.

Well the prices are too high in my opinion. The jointer and planer are $3k each new. Laguna has 10% sales every now and then so that makes the price even more unreasonable. Laguna customer service is hit and miss. I have a Laguna Shaper but I would still be hesitant to buy used Laguna machinery unless it is at a considerable savings. If that is a PM2800 I would steer clear. It gets consistantly bad reviews. I think the B version is slightly better than the A version but not by much.

Prices are way too high, period. The PM2800a and b are really good presses as long as you get one without any of the pattern issues which you should research.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Really kind of you to reply, thank you. I'll have a look at the Drill Press and see if I can figure that out. It all seems pretty high to me as well. I just know that the guy hardly ever used the stuff and now has health issues so he literally can't work with them anymore.

Thanks for the comments. I'll look into the "pattern issues" Wondering what that means exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Evan Miller View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I'll look into the "pattern issues" Wondering what that means exactly?
    Pattern problems are ones that are present in a significant number of a product. One that indicates a specific engineering or assembly issue, not a one-off issue. The Reeves drive speed control is the most often cited major problem area which also caused vibrations, this was "fixed" in the b version but some have still reported issues but significantly fewer. I am 99% sure the anniversary edition (painted the reverse of the normal colors, black with yellow accents) is an "a" version which had more issues. I think the 90th anniversary machines came out in 2012 and the b version of the 2800 came out in 2013.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That's a great response! I totally get it now. Seems all of this guys tools/machinery were from that vintage. It is a reverse color combo with the black as prominent overt the typical yellow gold. So appreciative!

Just a lasting update. Based off of a few peoples comments and research I have decided to let the major tools in this guys shop go. I did ask him about the clamps and if he had any hand planes and I did buy 2 L-N handplanes, Low angle block and a 62 1/2 low angle jack. They were rusted all around the metal bits and were heavily discounted. I have since restored them to near new condition!!! Also purchased some of his remaining clamps at a nice discount. Overall happy with my decisions. Thanks for all the help!

Glad you got something good out of it. One thing to consider, if they are on Craigslist or the like keep an eye on them. It is unlikely they sell for the prices he is asking and they may come down in the future to a price that is palatable.

Blog Entries
    I am with Cary and others on the prices. I too would avoid the PM drill press; there were just too many things wrong with that attempt. It seems some folks got lucky and got a decent one or were not bothered by the speed, quill and table issues. One bad apple and all that. JMHO. Mine went back.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler