Thread: Never seen this door silencer(?) before.

Never seen this door silencer(?) before.

A furniture maker I'm friends with paid me a visit today and he showed me these very handy door silencers. I don't know if that's the correct name in English. They're tiny things and you drill a 5mm hole 8mm deep in the door frame and push it in. I've always used the ones that you stick on but these are much better. I've ordered an assortment with various colours, dark brown, light brown, cherry colour, oak colour, white and transparent.

Normally, I use small cork dots in residential. Those look more like a commercial type.

That is correct, these are mainly for commercial use.

And, when I worked construction...painters would remove them..and throw them away....

How do they work, these door silencers?

Blog Entries
    I looked on line. Apparently, they are neoprene pads that you stick to the door frame preventing the door from slamming.
    I don't have small children in the house, so I have no need for them.

Blog Entries
    Our Kraftmaid kitchen cabinets have those on all the doors.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I believe they are called cabinet door bumpers over here. By the way Jessica I believe I read in another thread that you are from the land of William of Orange along with his English wife Mary II.

It would be helpful if you would enable us to find them. Could you identify a source or manufacturer, please? It would make your post rather more useful to the forum.

Thanks,
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    It would be helpful if you would enable us to find them. Could you identify a source or manufacturer, please? It would make your post rather more useful to the forum.

Thanks,
    Do a google search for soft stem bumpers
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks, Lee!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

However, next time you are in an office, that has the door jambs made of steel....you will see these little buttons along the strike side of the jamb....Otherwise, those fancy wood doors would hit metal frames...with a loud thud. I had to remove those, and wait until the Painters were done...then re-install them. Door latches were also set to allow them to work WITH the bumpers in place....if you take them out..the door will rattle.

I believe both Rocklear and Woodcraft carry them. I have always used them on commercial cabinets, their longevity is significantly better than the stick on ones.