Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pearl harbor day

Local news had a short clip on it , didnt watch the national news ... Arizona has been leaking fuel oil since day one ..

I will never forget the 7th of December. My Dad served in the Navy in WWII and Korea. My Mother changed tires on airplanes at Langley Field during WWII.
    My Dad's older brother was killed in action in WWII and I have several other family members who served including my wife's Dad who was a POW in Germany , sadly they are all gone now.
    I heard plenty of stories when I was young.

My father, in his early 20s was there that morning, working on a pile driving barge that set moorings for the big navy ships. The barge had a tall derrick that was in the way of the torpedo bombers so that was the first thing they bombed. He woke up on a small island behind a big dozer's blade, someone must have put him there. The next couple days he helped with recovering bodies and parts of bodies in the harbor.
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dickey View Post
    i was a TM to start and got a med out from sub school .. Blew my eardrums twice with the steinke hood ..
    Ouch!!!
    I'm glad everything worked out for you, and they were able to change your rate.
    I was a Missile Tech.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Ouch!!!
    I'm glad everything worked out for you, and they were able to change your rate.
    I was a Missile Tech.
    Yeah you had a neat job , TM surface was a joke , I was able to change rates about a year after I got to the ship ... Was bored to tears , you can only skate so much and enjoy it .. When we went thru the escape tank , the first time a diver snagged me about ten feet from the top .. The second time I went , I blew an eardrum in the pressure chamber .. Waiting for it to heal , graduated from sub school , then on med hold , went in again and blew the eardrum again and doc sent me on my way .. Had orders to Fast Attack in Charleston , SSN686 Mendel Rivers ..

One of my friends growing up Mom had been a ferry pilot during the war. She said she could fly anything that could fly. She also said she believed she could have been a combat pilot because she had more hours then some of them. She said she used to plant a kiss on each plane she delivered and told it “Sorry sweetheart I have to send you off to the fight, take care of your new partner” and then she was off to another mission. She also said it was surprising to her at first how much physical strength it took to fly some of those planes. She would say how proud she was to have done her part.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    My dad ended up as a Lt. Colonel serving in the Pacific with an anti-aircraft battalion(?) I remember him telling me about the day Pearl Harbor was attacked. We have an easy reminder of that day as my first son was born on December 7th. Never forget the sacrifices made for our freedom.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    My Grandfather used to tell me he listened to FDR's address on the radio as a kid. He enlisted and went to Korea at 17. He was the BAR man in his Squad. He had two brothers stationed in Hawaii when Pearl was hit. My Uncle Paul was a PBY pilot and my Uncle Gene ended up on the Yourktown when it was sunk in the battle of Midway and spent 18 hours in the water before being rescued. My Grandfater had 3 other brothers and a sister that all fought in WW2 my Aunt Fern was an Army Nurse, she never liked to say she was a member of the VFW because she was stationed at a Hospital in Chicago and did not think she diserved the title. My Grandfathers best friend Ray Cook was an army Chaplin and took part in the battle of Iwo Jima. I spent a lot of time with these men as a child and teen.

How soon we forget..... Very little news about such a big event in so many lives