Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pearl harbor day

Blog Entries

Pearl harbor day

In 1941, on this day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor precipitating WWII....
    It seams we have forgotten. I had several uncles that fought in that war.
    It is important to remember and never let it happen again.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-07-2018 at 3:48 PM. Reason: Date

Every year this day Alwice means something. Looking at a alot of newspapers not even mentioned....

It amazes me how little coverage there is today. The men and women who served in WWII and endured through that awful time deserve our everlasting honor and respect. Having known many of them personally and heard their stories it amazes me. And when it was over they came home and rebuilt this country. For the most part not much PTSD or things like that. They went back to work farming, building cars etc. and kept and still keep, for the ones that are still here, all of that horror out of others lives. I salute all of them for what they did before and after. And yes I understand another time and another era wars are still awful. I don’t know if I could have managed what they did.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    In 1942, on this day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor precipitating WWII....
    It seams we have forgotten. I had several uncles that fought in that war.
    It is important to remember and never let it happen again.
    Amen.

P.S - it was 1941.

Correction. It was 1941, not '42!
    I didn't hear the first bit about it on the news this morning. If you ask many people today, they could not tell you anything about it or the significance of that day. It's sad that our public school system now wants to erase all history.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Not many left. My grandfather fought in the Pacific. Signed up underage. He has been gone five years now.

3228D3E8-DBB1-447B-ADA8-63F4C4F46CCB.jpeg

Part of my Navy years were at Pearl , sacred and hallowed ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dickey View Post
    Part of my Navy years were at Pearl , sacred and hallowed ...
    Same here my friend, '79-81. USS John Marshall.
    I used to live and work on Ford Island and passed the Arizona at least twice a day taking the Mike Boats from Merry Point Landing, or the ferry from Halawa Landing.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I proudly served in the USNR. I joined when I was 17 for 8 years. I was called on active duty during the Berlin crisis.
    Our ship was sent to Key West relieving a Destroyer departing for the Med. We performed picket duty and training
    fleet sonar men. We saw the Nautilus making 20 knots on the surface. It was throwing a rooster tail 30 feet in the air.
    One mid afternoon a plane came out of the sun and headed for our midship. Our Captain was a veteran and recognized the plane.
    I suspect he knew about it and that it was testing us. We had WWII and Korean war gunner mates in the gun tubs and
    they had the nose of the rounds in the breech when the Captain told them to belay. I all ways thought he knew the plane was coming as a test.

It was good he intervened because they would have shot the plane out of the air.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-07-2018 at 5:45 PM.

GMG1 73-86 , made chief and got out .. Was in pearl 81-83 .. aahh a bubblehead , i was a TM to start and got a med out from sub school .. Blew my eardrums twice with the steinke hood ..
    Last edited by Jack Dickey; 12-07-2018 at 6:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My Mother’s Uncle Eddie was at Guadalcanal, I didn’t know him much, he didn’t talk about it.

Grandmothers brother was a Gunny on recruiter duty when they hit Pearl , he island hopped in Marine Field Artillery , never spoke about it .. Dad was Air Corps B29's , his brother was Airborne , with French resistance . Mother's brother was a medic , was on the beach at D Day , he had horror stories .. Wifes uncle was a marine tunnel rat island hopping .. He was crazy and took his life some years later ..

I noticed today a distinct lack of mention on the news about the significance of today. Shame!!

One of the men I got to know, somewhat, was a navy diver at Pearl Harbor. He was much older than me of course. Every once in a while a story would come out. He spent the rest of his life as a diver. I remember him saying they worked for weeks by feel around the wrecks. “The toughest diving I ever did and ever will have to do again, thank God.” That always ended the conversation. He would not continue. If you asked another question it was ignored like he didn’t hear you. If you pushed you would get anger in return. If you asked about his current work he would explain it all. He was a nice and caring man willing to share time with a kid throwing a baseball or telling fishing stories. He was all about his children and family. Good memories for me.
    Jim