Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ray fine fiber laser

Below is my experience with RayFine.

Earlier this year, I ordered a 30w MOPA with a JPT M6-L1 source, XY table, mark while engraving board, 3 pair of safety glasses, rotary and 110x110, 200x200 and 300x300 lenses. They sent over an invoice and I paid the initial amount to get the build started. About 2 weeks later I sent the remaining porting of the invoice and was told the laser was going to be shipped. A week or so went by so I inquired about shipment and was told JPT was moving facilities and the M6-L1 source wasn't a stock item. Another week or so went by and they sent notification that the M6-L1 source had arrived and it was going to under go testing. Another week or so went by and I inquired about shipment again. This time I was told my machine was the first fiber that Rayfine had done with the mark while engraving board and they were using my machine to make some tutorial videos that would assist me in using it. Shipping notification finally arrived and the laser was on its way. Once in the country and was held up by FedEx due to weather but upon arrival, I quickly noticed I didn't received my 300x300 lens and my 110x110 was really a 100x100. An email went out to my guy at Rayfine, letting them know a lens was missing and one was wrong.

Next came the setup and the learning process. I got it hooked up and realized something was terribly wrong. The mirrors wouldn't move at all, so I contacted my guy at RayFine and they tried to help trouble shoot the problem but with the major time difference, it was taking days to work through the process. Luckily one of the members on this site was generous enough to help me diagnose the issue and it turned out the cable that controls the mirrors wasn't hooked up inside the tower. After plugging it in, we were off to the races. I still hadn't received a shipping confirmation on the other lens so some more emails went back and forth with the promise that it was going to come but never did.

I then ended up purchasing an automated conveyor setup from them and asked my guy to make sure and put the lens in with that shipment. The conveyor was paid for and once again a few weeks went buy with no shipment notification. I was told it was undergoing testing and not to worry. Finally after a month or so, I told them I needed the conveyor and to send it on. The conveyor showed up and 3 of the leveling feet were busted off during shipping but the 300x300 lens was in there. I asked for some replacement feet but was told those were on there for shipping purposes and I could just remove them.

The conveyor came with absolutely zero and I mean ZERO instructions or paperwork, which made it difficult to get setup properly. There is a control panel with different features but its just letters and numbers. I asked my guy at Rayfine for instruction on multiple occasions but still nothing. After some tinkering and changing setting, I thought we had figured out but then ran into the belt moving issue. (See my post on Stopping a BLDC motor). That has been resolved thanks to some new bearings and a little machining.

All in all, my experience wasn't terrible but it certainly wasn't as easy as my first Universal Laser purchase. Also, you can forget about tech support on these Chinese lasers. If you aren't handy or enjoy tinkering on things, I would stick with something from the US.

Hope this helps.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

well I ended up with a 50w raycus from a us dealer who sells Chinese machines. also got a rotary, 100mm, and 200mm lens with my laser. I went with this and now I have support and a better version of ez cad. I still got everything I wanted within my budget and I will actually have somebody to speak with in the U.S. also they will test my machine so it will work when I get it. (: thanks everybody for the info on making the right decision. I bought from. engraving machines plus in Florida. maybe once I figure out the ins and out of these machines like I know my laser welders I can go with china and work on it myself and save a few bucks.

Hi Folks - I wanted to reply here in this tread of my experience with Rayfine repairing my scanner head still under warranty so that anyone searching and reading would have the complete story. I sent the head back to them at my expense which wasn't bad. I think it cost me about 120 dollars. When they received the head they informed me that the security seal had been compromised and they felt that EZCAD ( the manufacture of the head ) would not warranty. I sent them pictures of the head, showing an intact seal, that I took before shipping with an explanation that only a fool would attempt to open the head while it was still under warranty. They assured me that they would argue my case for me with EZCAD. EZCAD examined the head and apparently agreed to repair it but they needed my lens to fine tune it. I did not send a lens with the head because I did not think it was necessary and wanted to keep the weight down. Also I was not sure that I would ever see anything back that I would send to China. I agreed to buying a new lens for $150.00 which I think really was to help cover the cost of return shipping. My gut tells me that perhaps EZCAD's warranty on the scanner head may have only been a year and Rayfine had to pick up the tab on this so my purchase of a new lens helped soften the blow to them I don't know this for sure and never will but for me it was an acceptable workaround as I now have a second 160 lens. The head got repaired and returned to me so I am happy with that. The total time from me being down till I was back in operation took 2 1/2 months which was a lot longer than I wanted but one also has to consider that 20 days of that were taken up by ship time. My point of contact with Rayfine has always been Miss Jiang and she was always courteous and helpful and all throughout the experience assured me that they would do their best to make it right. My calibration program wasn't working correctly and the Rayfine tech was quick at getting me replacement software and headed in the right direction. I must say that Rayfine tech has always been very helpful with support when ever I needed them. I just wanted to post this so that others trying to make a purchase decision would have honest feedback to help them decide the correct path for them. In summary I would say that Rayfine is a good company that places a value on their reputation and offers good technical support after the sale. Thanks, Jim

Since we're talking Chinese customer service experiences:

While my Triumph fiber was under warranty, it started doing some really funky engraving. I emailed Yolanda with some pics. Meanwhile, I opened the machine, pulled all the cables I could find, sprayed all the connectors with cleaner and re-plugged in everything. I took apart the scanhead plug that went to the controller, there was a little more solder than necessary in some places (a lot actually) but nothing creating a new circuit. After doing all that, the machine never messed up again. However, Triumph insisted on sending me a new scanhead regardless. It showed up about 10 days after my first email, just about the time the Chinese new year vacation got rolling. When I opened the package, the scanhead was surrounded by a full foam shell that was then surrounded by a bunch of that 'tubular' bubble pack. Despite all that, the lens collar was bent! I emailed Triumph and was told to just remove the collar and check the scanhead to see if it worked correctly. Since my machine was working okay at the time I just used it as is until the Chinese holiday got over. When it was all said and done, I didn't get my old one shipped back, or the new one installed until 3 months later. They didn't seen concerned at all about the time I had 2 scanheads... Getting the bent collar off required drilling a hole thru it so I could use a screwdriver for leverage. They got a kick out of that... I too paid for shipping, $45 each way I think it was. The machine has worked flawlessly since I cleaned the connectors, so at least the new scanhead works.

A few years ago Triumph made me some different length lens tubes I needed for my 80w 1390, I thought 3 for $100 shipped was fair for custom made tubes. As I mentioned in another thread, they even send me Xmas cards
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

if you have 15G i suggest Keyence MD-F family markers, MD-F3000, MD-F5000, MD-F3100, MD-F5100, MD-F3200, MD-F5200. Used off eBay Japanese marker is better 10 times. Chinese markers are just toys, example resolution of MD-F is 2μm or 5μm
    resolution of Chinese markers is 30μm or 50μm, speed is almost double 12000mm/s - vs 7000/8000mm/s from China, etc.... in addition fiber markers are rated for over/above 50000 hours of marking time, Japaneses markers have build in clock counter so you'll know exactly what you are buying, Chinese markers are just for the first time buyer, later have no value. Or even something like MD-V9600 family, older but small, specs 1-200khz speed 6000/8000mm/s Regards.
    Last edited by toni plaza; 01-17-2019 at 8:22 PM.