Thread: Jet Dust Collection

Jet Dust Collection

I've got limited space in a garage workshop but wanted to add some decent dust collection. I like the Jet DC1100 w/vortex and found one somewhat locally. My concerns are -- will it fit? I have a corner of my shop that I might be able to squeeze it into, but I was wondering if the 28" width on the site are for the stand itself, or the total floorspace i'd need with the input ports appearing to stick out slightly? I'd imagine with the tube coming off there, it would jut out several inches further...so, is it possible to remove the area where the port inputs are and mount it further back on the stand or up on the wall without affecting performance?

Also, any idea what a DC1100VX-CK should go for on the used market?

I have the same unit, had it for 3 years now and have been pleased with it. The impeller does sit a little wider than the base, but there is room on the base to move it a little.

I run about 20 feet of 6" metal pipe with two 4" and two 2.5" blast gates. It can keep up with my A3-31 planing of jointing a 12" x 10ft board.

I actually converted mine to a two stage unit with a cyclone and wall mounted the impeller and the Jet filter up on the wall, so if you are limited on floor space, but have wall space, that might be an option.

In it's delivered configuration, it doesn't take long to fill up the bag and also you need to be pretty regular about spinning the filter vane cleaner, at the top, as a lot of the fine dust will make its way all the way up into the filter element.

Going two stage, I've yet to empty bag, below the filter and I get very little fine sawdust making it's way up into the filter.

I don't have photos of my setup, but can take some if you are interested.

Used, I would only pay around $450.

I would really love to see pictures of your set up. As for the original poster I cannot measure mine today but will this evening if no one else has done it.

The ducting is not the optimum as I used a few 90 degree bends close to the cyclone and from the impeller to the filter, but I can't say that it has impacted the ability of the unit to gather dust and shavings from any of my tools.

I use Home Depot contractor trash bags inside the blue bin. I got that from Amazon for around $80, the top clamps on.

The shelf, at the bottom of the cyclone is fixed to the board that is mounted to the wall, which also has a right angle piece that the impeller mounts to.

I raised the blue bin off the floor so I could shorten the flex hose and keep it a little more vertical. Prior to doing that, the bin was a little offset due to the foundation of my garage.

I mounted a shelf on the wall to mount the filter, I could have shortened the there supports and just used less of the depth of the bag. The sawdust in the clear bag is the accumulation of two years worth of use in this mode.

5. I have this unit and it has been good for my small shop. If you still need the actual floor space it takes up using it as it's shipped I'll get some in the morning. I paid $750 new so can't help with a used price but it does perform well with my Makita 12 inch planer, Delta Unisaw, as well as router, miter saw, etc. I would buy it again.

I should mention, I have the Jet DC plugged into an iVac smart switch. I have two iVac sensor remotes on extension cords that I use for my table saw, router, bandsaw, etc.. These turn the DC on/off when the corresponding tool is started/stopped.

For my planter/Jointer and moulder, these are 230V, so I turn the DC on with the iVac hand remote control.