Thread: Grizzly G0513 Bandsaw for Bowl Blanks

Grizzly G0513 Bandsaw for Bowl Blanks

Does anyone have experience with this Grizzly 17" bandsaw for bowl blanks? It is 2hp and is on sale right now.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ition/G0513ANV

Just curious, thanks,
    Tom

I have the G0514X2. It's the big brother of this saw. I cut bowl blanks up to 16" diameter on mine with no problem.
    I used to use a G0555 1hp and it too was ok.

I do appreciate the mass of a a heavy saw.

I have that model and love it.

I have the g0513 anv it is the cheaper 17 inch saw but it is so much more than a 14 inch saw I am glad I bought it.

My cheap used bandsaw broke yesterday so now sadly (at least for my wife) I will be forced to upgrade. I’ve been looking at the Grizzly G0817 vs the G0513x2. Main use will be for cutting bowl blanks.
    The x2 is a bit cheaper and has gotten a lot of good reviews. I couldn’t find much on the G0817.

https://www.grizzly.com/compare?category_id=420000&preload=G0817|G0513X2

Any turners have any insight/opinions between these 2 saws?

thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson80; 12-25-2018 at 3:59 PM.

I have an older version of the same saw. Mine has a brake to turn off the saw and stop the blade. It has been a very good addition to the shop. I remember it being a little touchy getting everything aligned but it runs great with little maintenance. I cut a lot of wet turning blanks on it.
    Fred

The G0817 is right in the price range of the Jet, Laguna, and Rikon. I'm not going to say the Grizzly is a bad choice (I lreally like my Grizzly Lathe) but I would take a look at all your options.

Thanks for the replies. I honestly don't know a ton about bandsaws but from other threads have read that HP is one of the main things when resawing. The Grizzly saws both have 2 hp versus 1.5 - 1.75 for several of the similarly priced Rikon, Jet, and Laguna saws.

I'm curious what people's opinions are for the best bandsaw in this price range ($1000-$1500, hoping closer to $1000) with the main purpose of cutting larger bowl blanks (I know opinions will vary, but it gives me specific models to look up and read about).
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson80; 12-26-2018 at 8:02 PM.

Look at the amperage ratings, not the HP. You'll see that both of the Grizzly saws you listed have different current ratings but the same HP. HP is often fudged or rounded up. Routers seam to be the worst when it comes to this. Motor efficiency also plays into this but chances are all motors on these band saws are close to each other. I didn't mean to make your decision any harder. I was just looking at band saws in the latest Rockler catalog (they have a 10% off sale on Laguna starting Jan 1st). Right next to their catalog is my Grizzly and Craft supply catalogs so I can go back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post

I'm curious what people's opinions are for the best bandsaw in this price range ($1000-$1500, hoping closer to $1000) with the main purpose of cutting larger bowl blanks (I know opinions will vary, but it gives me specific models to look up and read about).
    Thanks,
    Tom

There is a long current thread in the power tools subforum about this exact same topic.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Look at the amperage ratings, not the HP. You'll see that both of the Grizzly saws you listed have different current ratings but the same HP. HP is often fudged or rounded up. Routers seam to be the worst when it comes to this. Motor efficiency also plays into this but chances are all motors on these band saws are close to each other. I didn't mean to make your decision any harder. I was just looking at band saws in the latest Rockler catalog (they have a 10% off sale on Laguna starting Jan 1st). Right next to their catalog is my Grizzly and Craft supply catalogs so I can go back and forth.
    I wouldn't worry too much about current draw variations in induction motors, they vary a lot in efficiency and most of them you don't really see much fudging with.

Universal motors are often at the locked rotor rating which still allows you to compare them directly with other universal motor ratings so comparing within the router segment is usually valid but you can't directly compare a router's HP with a shapers HP.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

There’s a current Grizzly sale and I have a 10% off coupon so total for the X2 would be $1150 including delivery.

There’s a current Grizzly sale and I have a 10% off coupon so total for the X2 would be $1150 including delivery.
    Assuming the coupon stacks on the sale (I think it does) and you don't need liftgate delivery (~$50) then it is $1150 which is a very good price. The Laguna and Rikon will be near $1050 shipped even when they are on sale (I think Rockler had a Laguna sale coming up in Jan). The only thing the 513X2 gives up to them is toolless guides and warranty period on the Rikon. You get the extra 1/4hp and ~3 more inches of throat capacity. Under $1200 shipped makes the 513X2 quite appealing.

Mind if I ask where you found the coupon? I’m looking to visit the Springfield store tomorrow to pick up a new lathe.

I got it when I signed up for their emails.